Saturday, June 1, 2019

The Art of Writing a Thank You Note

One of the quickly fading art forms is that of the hand-written thank you note.



Now, don't get me wrong.  I am a great advocate for the advancement of technology.  

However, and I mean H.O.W.E.V.E.R...

We are moving away from crafting and curating real relationships with people because WE are ALLOWING technology to advance our ability to be lazy when expressing our gratitude, sympathy, or any other types of personalized communication.

In fact, most people DO NOT know how to write a heartfelt message of thanks which means it is not being passed on to the next generation.

But, all is not lost.  I can be saved and savored!

The Chinese and Egyptians were the first recorded cultures to write notes of thanks, luck, and gratitude to others.  Because paper (papyrus) was quite expensive, to receive one would have been cherished and most likely saved with other important personal treasures.


Around the 1400s, Europeans began exchanging social greetings through hand-written and illustrated cards.  They too kept these among their hand-written letters and correspondence as keepsakes and cherished memories.

As there was no television, radio, or other forms of home entertainment beyond music and singing, sharing these cards, notes, and letters with friends and family became their own sort of entertainment.

It was not uncommon to gather for afternoon tea and listen to a letter or card as it was read out loud and then having time to comment, compliment, and discuss the writing as well as the sender.  

Credit
It was around the Victorian time era that we start to see a plethora of beautifully illustrated greeting cards used as ways to express gratitude.  In fact, many people have framed those vintage and antique illustrations, and companies have copied many into the modern day greeting cards in our own stores.

Credit

Today, it's very easy to write your own thank you.  There's a tried and true "formula" for the contents, that when followed make the receiver feel as special as they made you feel in the first place.

Here's how to do it with a personal and business spin on it.

First, make sure to use your best writing.  If you don't like your cursive, print.  If that is also an issue, you can type it, but print it out and adhere it to your card.  DO NOT send it in an email.

Second, open the card with the receivers name.  Use an appropriate greeting like Dear, or if you are writing in a more formal style, like a potential employer, use the person's name.

"Dear Emily,"

"Mrs. Remington,"

Third, start the first sentence with a thank you for the specific item, product, or service that you received.

"I am so grateful for the gift of your grandmother's antique pin for my birthday."

"I'd like to extend my thanks on the opportunity to interview for the Human Resources position."

Fourth, add details that personalize and make it uniquely yours.

"You remembered that I collected antique and vintage pins, and to add your grandmother's to my collection will be a cherished treasure.  I will think of her every time I look at it, but most especially when I wear it."

"Your company has an outstanding reputation, so to be considered for an HR position, where I can make an impact, is especially exciting to me.  I know that I would add my knowledge and excellent organization skills to the team."

Next, end with a transition statement that allows you to complete your thank you.

"I know your grandmother meant so much to you.  I'd like to get together for lunch soon and have some time to really talk about her.  It will add to my now own personal treasure of hers."

"Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have additional questions about my qualifications.  I look forward to hearing from you."

Finally, sign off with the appropriate signature for the thank you.

"In love and friendship, (your name)"

"Sincerely, (your name)"




Here they are put together:

"Dear Emily,"

"I am so grateful for the gift of your grandmother's antique pin for my birthday.  You remembered that I collected antique and vintage pins, and to add your grandmother's to my collection will be a cherished treasure.  I will think of her every time I look at it, but most especially when I wear it.  I know your grandmother meant so much to you.  I'd like to get together for lunch soon and have some time to really talk about her.  It will add to my now own personal treasure of hers.

In love and friendship, (your name)"

And...

"Mrs. Remington,"

I'd like to extend my thanks on the opportunity to interview for the Human Resources position.  Your company has an outstanding reputation, so to be considered for an HR position, where I can make an impact, is especially exciting to me.  I know that I would add my knowledge and excellent organization skills to the team.  Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have additional questions about my qualifications.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely. (your name)"



Never underestimate the power of a great thank you note or card.

It can set you apart from others in a business situation, landing you the coveted job.

It can convey your gratitude and elegant manners in a friendship situation.  In our world today, gratefulness and manners are greatly needed and appreciated.

The only way we lose the lost art of written communication is if we allow it to be lost.

Break some rules today and write a short note of thanks to someone, even if it just to say thank you for being my friend.














Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.