Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Easy Storage Jars to DIY

In keeping with this ongoing theme of apartment prep for darling daughter, I want to share a cute "alteration" for adorable bathroom storage.

It all starts with these jars from the Dollar Tree.


These and other similar jars can be found in the glass/plate aisle of your Dollar Tree.  You could also do this same project with Mason Jars, used sauce jars, or really, any jar that you have on hand.

Here's what I used to make the initial transformation.


A large washer (had), a lamp finial (had), and E6000 glue (had - and if you don't have it on hand, go get some...it's the best for projects like this).

Since my goal was to make the top more "decorative" with a knob like addition, I knew I could make it work with these items I already had on hand.


I laid the large washer on top, and "eye-balled" the center placement.  I am sure it was not perfect, but it was close enough.


I used a sharpie to mark the center opening of the washer so that when I glued it on it would be in the exact place.


I squeezed the E6000 in a circular pattern, about the width of the washer, right on the top.


Then I dropped the washer on it and moved it a bit until the hole and circle lined up.

I left it to dry for a few hours.


I came back and added E6000 to the base of the finial and glued that over the hole of the washer.

It too I let dry overnight, just to make sure it was stuck good and tight.


I did this for both jars until I had this.

See where I'm going with this?


I grabbed a primer spray paint that I had and gave a nice light coat of spray over both of the lids.

I made sure to do two coats in total, making sure that all the lid was fully coated.


It's important to do this with metal so that there will not be "scratched" areas over time.


I then sprayed a few layers of matte gold over the lids as the final coat...


and this was the outcome.

These bathroom jars are perfect for cotton swabs and cotton balls, or really, any type of item you want to store in a jar this size.

They are going to look great in our daughter's bathroom, even if they only make it to the sink cabinet.

Items similar to these are well over $6 dollars for one, even at a discount store.

These were $2 in total because I already had the rest of the supplies. 

Now, this is what I call breaking the rules!






Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.