Tuesday, October 2, 2018

The Perfect Purse...How to organize so your life is easier!

If you know me personally, you know that I am an extreme organizer.  Nothing makes me happier than setting to rights messy un-functional spaces.  This is especially true with my purses and handbags.

You've seen how I organize my collection of bags in this post.  Now it's time to see how I organize the INSIDE of my handbag!

I like my bags functional and ready at my fingertips.  This includes having the items I need well organized so I am not fumbling or searching for stuff at a moments notice.  Like this gal here with her bottomless purse of EVERYTHING any self-respecting person could need at a moments notice.  While I don't recommend her methods (tee hee), especially because a handbag can become very weighty, I do like that she knew exactly where everything was with the exception of her keys.

I've got a great and affordable way for YOU to organize the life living inside your purse, so read on and do some purse organizing of your own.

First, I SCORED an amazing buy.  This is a Vince Camuto handbag that I found at Marshal's on a recent trip to Wilmington, DE (think, no tax!).


The leather is absolutely the softest thing I have felt and the handles are thick and very comfortable.  Of course, the tassel and the gold metal accents had me at hello.  I especially love when a purse has a detachable strap as well.

I walked by the purse and then did a double take.  I DID NOT need a black purse, but I did lovingly stroke it and I think I actually purred a bit while contemplating its purchase, before putting it back on the rack (it was actually on a retractable cable, locked to the rack!).  I got about 5 steps away and then returned to it, knowing that I was going to take this sweet baby home.  I couldn't pass it by because of this...


WHAT???  It was a Marshal's Score!  Originally $248.00, it had been marked down once when it hit the Marshal's rack, and then AGAIN with the Marshal's red sticker tag.  $69.00!!!  I decided it was a bargain I couldn't pass up and it had been waiting for me to buy it.  In addition, as a Marshal's rewards credit card holder, I was able to use my $10 coupon so it came to a whopping $59.00.  SOLD!!!!!!!!!!

The next stop was to the Dollar Tree of course.  If you have access to the Dollar Tree and you ARE NOT going there...what's stopping you?  As a Dollar Tree Ultimate Fan, I am in there around 2 to 3 times each week and find the best bargains on so many items.  I especially like their selection of small zippered bags as they make great and affordable ways to organize almost every aspect of your life.


Here's what I came home with.  $5.00 (yes, you read that right, it's the Dollar Tree) worth of bags.  The top 2 left bags are in the office/school supply section.  These are plastic, zippered-locked bags with side holes, meant to go into a 3-ringed notebook.  Because there is a sealed line between the bag and notebook holes, you can easily trim off the holes and you have a great little bag for just about anything.  I like them for receipts that tend to float and crush around in our purses, only to become bits of junk once they wiggle their way to the bottom.  Next to those bags on the top right is another larger school pencil bag that does not have holes.  It is very roomy and made of a thick canvas like fabric. It too can be found in the school supply/office aisle.  The bottom 2 bags are a combo set of matching large and small zippered bags.  There are 4 patterns to choose from and I have all but one of the patterns.  These are made of a satin-like fabric and can be found in the make-up section of the store.

What I love is that each of these items can be used to coordinate with the other.  I grabbed the orange polka-dot bag for a car organization feature coming in a later post.  For my purse, I will be using the pink polka-dot bag as well as the colorful pink and green make-up combination set.  The others I will save for another purse, or may gift to a friend who needs some serious purse organization.

Here's how I set it all up:

I know what you're thinking...it that ALL she has in her purse?  Yep, it is!  I am constantly evaluating what I need and down-sizing the contents over and over again.  Carrying a lot of stuff in a purse is not good for your neck, shoulders, or spine.  Plus, if you really evaluated what was in your purse, you'd be surprised at what you don't need and have never needed or used.

So, let's review:
In the top left is my fox bag of oils.  It is a selection of my everyday go to Young Living 5 ml oils and Lemon lip balm.  Headache - check.  Cut or boo boo - check.  Upset tummy - check.  Pain - check.   It's all there and in one bag.
Next to that is my RFID case that holds all my credit cards and ID.  I purchased it from Amazon here.  I bought two fox wallets in case one broke...yes, I love foxes!  An RFID wallet allows you to protect your credit cards from being "swiped" by thieves while in your purse or pocket.  I also love that I can run into a store quickly with just this wallet and have my card, id, and a $20 bill folded inside.  It fits nicely into a side interior pocket of most purses as well.
The large make-up bag is holding my lippies, Doctor's Toothpicks, my purse hangar (so I don't have to put my purse on the floor - a no no!), my Dollar Tree manicure set with an added fox nail file, and my eyeglass cloth.  The smaller bag will hold my tech supplies for my iPhone like chargers for both car and outlet as well as my cordless headphones.
The pink dotted bag will hold receipts as I shop or bits of paper and coupons that I don't want cluttering up my bag.
I've used my Kate Spade wallet and business card holder to corral the usual wallet type things.

Notice how I performed "surgery" on the dotted bag so it transformed from a kids pencil bag to a stylish purse bag.

So, the cost of the bag as well as the new interior organizers was a whopping $59.00 plus $2.00 for a grand total of $61.00!  

So here are some additional ideas for adding form and function to your handbag.

If you are a mom, purchase a Dollar Tree school supply bag in a different color for each child.  You can carry wrapped snacks, small toys or treats, or specific items for that child inside their bag and have it neatly organized, ready to pull out at a moment's notice.  
If you have a medical issue that requires specific medicines or treatments, an organized bag goes a long way to taking great care of yourself when you must.  It can also be a discrete way to carry those (and feminine) supplies, especially if you have a purse that does not have a zippered closure or you leave the top open for ease of use.
If you are a #bosslady, you may want to have a bag related to your business.  It can carry business cards, postcards, samples, pens, and anything else you might need when meeting a client or potential client while out and about.  I know women who carry a mini office supply store in their purses (by the way Dollar Tree has a great small case that has mini office items in it - check it out) and a $1.00 bag could easily keep those small items corralled.

Once everything was bagged, it fit perfectly inside my new purse.

There is room for my sunglasses, phone, and even a packet of tissues if I need it.  The bag is not heavy and I know where each item is.


When filled, it looks great and stylish.

Stop by the Dollar Tree, OR, you can go online and purchase directly.  When shopping online, you must buy in the lots they indicate.  For example, the dotted bags are purchased in lots of 24.  This is not bad if you have use for 24, or you share the cost with a friend or two.  It's really about how you will use them and what you can do with remaining ones (gifts?).  Also, not all their items are available online.  But, not all the online items are available in your local store.  You just need to be an informed consumer who does her homework!

I hope this post inspires you to organize your bag.  I'd love to hear in the comments how you organize your handbag/purse as I'm always looking for new ideas.  

Break some rules this week!








Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.