Tuesday, March 26, 2019

How I Clean My Essential Oil Diffusers

If you use a diffuser with your essential oils, you will need to periodically clean it.

But don't be intimidated.

It's one of the easiest things to do and doesn't require any special tools, equipment, or cleaners.

I clean my diffusers about every 4-5 months.  I just write a reminder in my planner.

It takes about 10-15 minutes to clean a diffuser, so it's time well spent.

Let's get started.


All you need is your diffuser (Desert Mist style from YL), Young Living Lemon Essential Oil, a few cotton swabs, and tissues.

Make sure to UNPLUG your diffuser first.  You don't need to cord for anything while you're cleaning it, and safety is always a good idea.


Most diffusers have three parts.  

The base which holds all the inner workings and where the cord attaches.

The funnel cover which goes onto the base and directs the diffused water and oils up and out.

The cover which is purely decorative and makes the diffuser beautiful.  This is an optional part of some diffusers.  The funnel cover might be by itself.


My diffusers tend to get dirty around the outside of the well, especially on parts where dust and oil residue can collect.

Here, the cotton swab is pointing out that dirty part.

Now, don't be confused because you think this diffuser is clean.  Keep reading.  You will see how dirty it actually is.


I drop about 6 drops of YL Lemon Essential Oil right into the well.  Our lemon oil smells heavenly and is one of the most affordable oils in our collection.  You are not wasting it by using it to clean your diffuser.


Here you can see the 6 drops over the ultrasonic plate in the bottom of the base.  I pick up the base and swirl that oil all over the bottom and up the sides.


Using a cotton swab, I gently swirl it over the ultrasonic place and around the metal ring.  I do this a few times


Then I take a new swab and really "scrub" those areas where dirt and grime are evident.


You can see the accumulation of that on the ends of the swabs.  It was hard to see it in the diffuser with the naked eye, but believe me, here's evidence that it's there.


Leaving the oil in the diffuser, I grab a tissue and wipe all around the bottom and the sides of the diffuser base. 

The tissue will collect the Lemon oil and gently clean those areas as I wipe it around.


Again... it didn't look this dirty, but the proof is on the tissue!


Now it's time to clean the funnel cover.  You can see where there are some dirty residual spots on the underside.


Drop a few drops of lemon oil onto a clean cotton swab and gently clean away the dirt and debris here.  The swab will get into the tight places on this piece.


For the decorative cover, I simply rinse that under some warm water at my bathroom sink.  This removes any dust that has collected on the decorative pattern.

THIS IS THE ONLY PART THAT I PUT UNDER RUNNING WATER.

Never put the base under the water!


I dry the cover with a soft towel and then put all three parts back together.

I plug it back into its cording and plug that into the wall.


You will have some Lemon oil residue still in the diffuser.  This is fine.  

I like to fill my diffuser with water and add more lemon and other oils and start my diffuser up.

Here, I've combined Lemon, Lavender, and Peppermint Essential Oils to make great respiratory support blend.


I turn it on and enjoy the clean fresh scent of these three oils.

Perfect!





Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.