Saturday, March 16, 2019

Beginners Guide: DIY Gel Nails

If you don't know by now, I am a girly girl.

Not like a giddy, sophomoric youngster who adores everything pink and sparkly (although I do have a likeness for that), but a 53-year-old gal who loves anything spa-related, makeup related, clothing related, etc...

I especially love when my nails are on point because let's face it, your hands' age quickly and a good looking manicure can help improve the overall look of your digits.

But alas...I have some serious nail issues.

See, I have hypothyroidism which tends to leave my nails thin, brittle, and very "ridged."  I also CANNOT keep traditional polish on for more than an hour or two after getting them done.  There is something in my nail bed that does not allow the polish to adhere.  Believe me, I've tried it all.

For years I had an on-again, off-again love/hate relationship with acrylic tips.  I LOVED the way they made my nails look, but I hated that my thin nails had to be "sanded" down for the product to adhere.  I also was not too keen on having to make an appointment in my busy schedule to have them done every two weeks.  In addition, I would tend to pick at them until they would separate from the nail and then it just looked...well, yucky.

So for several years now, I've worn my nails natural or used a product like Color Street to have a shortlived polished look for an event. 

That was until I discovered the Sally Hansen Salon Gel Polish Kit.


I picked up this kit from my local Wal-Greens using a rewards coupon.  Normally the kit is around $60, but I paid about 20% less.  It comes with pale pink gel polish, but I also grabbed a red gel polish as well as a more taupe gel polish.

I took it all home and looked at it for 2 weeks!  (LOL)

I was a bit skeptic and thought about returning it, but I wanted to review it for you all so I forged ahead.

Let's get started!


Inside the kit, you will find the 3-step process, a 6 watt LED curing light and cord, orangewood stick and small nail file, individual alcohol pads, 100% acetone remover, and instructions.

I totally didn't read the instructions.  Instead, I went straight to YouTube and searched for this particular kit and there were many videos that I could watch and gather some additional wise tips for making this a successful process.

TIP:  Give yourself a good manicure and clean prior to using the kit.

Trim and shape your nails BEFORE you immerse them in water or product.


I pulled out my personal set of tools and got to work.

I used my Sally Hansen Cuticle Remover gel first.  If you have cuticle issues, this product is the best. I've used it for years and it literally melts away your dead, disgusting, overgrown cuticles.

You simply swipe it over the cuticle and then use a tool to gently push the cuticle back, making sure you remove any that are stuck to the nail bed and sides.  


I use a cuticle nipper to them remove all that junk and my nail beds look great.


Next, I use good 'ole baking soda to gently exfoliate my hands as well as remove any residue and body oils.  Baking soda will also make your hands soft and it rinses easily too.

Here are my bare nails.  See those ridges?  At least the cuticles look good now.


TIP:  DO NOT PUT LOTION ON!  Try to avoid touching your nail beds as much as possible.  The trick is to keep your nail beds pristine so that the product can have the best chance to adhere and give you the final look you are hoping for.

Step 1:

I started by gently wiping each nail with isopropyl alcohol and a cotton PAD - I didn't want traditional cotton balls leaving fuzz on my nails that would get caught in the gels.


I painted STEP 1 from the kit (labeled clearly on the bottle) on my left hand, careful to NOT get it on my skin.

Paint a thin even coat across the whole nail bed up to but not touching the cuticle.


I then placed my hand in the LED light box and pushed the white button on top.  The light is timed to stay on for 30 seconds.

TIP:  If your nails start to feel a bit hot (which can happen with gel nails), pull them out quickly then place them back in.  I didn't have this issue except once during the whole process.  It's normal, so don't get frightened.


After the light went out I picked up the LED box and placed my thumb in while holding the bottom with my other fingers.  It's awkward to keep your thumb facing up when the LED box in flat.

I repeated the same process with my right hand.

You only need to paint and cure the first coat once on each hand. 

Step 2:


The kit comes with this natural looking gel polish.  I actually love this color because it's very neutral and makes your nails look fresh and clean.


It's a pale pink, and for my fair skin, it works.  If you have a different pigment, there are other options to choose from in the Sally Hansen line.  They are found near the kit when purchasing.

I did see in one of the YouTube videos that you can also use other gel products like OPI with this kit.  

CAREFULLY check to make sure that they are the gels that need the LED light.  There are several gel-like applications on the market today that are not for lights.


You will apply a thin coat of the color gel on both hands followed by the curing process with the LED light box.  

REPEAT with a second thin coat of the same polish, again, curing with the light.

Here are two coats of the pink gel polish, cured with the light.

Step 3:


This is the shiny top coat, and the last curing step in the process.

You will need one thin coat on each nail, curing exactly like you did in steps 1 and 2.

I loved how shiny this coat made my nails.  

IMPORTANT TIP HERE:  After you have cured step 3, you will need to take a few cotton rounds and your alcohol and wipe over each nail several times to remove the sticky top coat.


This part was a bit intimidating.  

Your nails have been cured and are almost ready to go, HOWEVER, they will have a sticky, smeary film over them even though they look shiny.

Using the alcohol takes off this top coat, revealing the shiny, cured, ready-to-go nails underneath.

You CANNOT skip this step.  The kit comes with alcohol pads, but I just used my Dollar Tree alcohol and will save the pads for travel if needed.

And just like that...


You have your own gel polished nails...
all from the comfort of your own home.

This whole process took me about 45 minutes in total.  

I watched a few of my favorite YouTubers while doing it, so it made the process quick in my mind.

By the time you read this, I will have had the nails on for 5 days.  I can say that they have held up beautifully and I am sold on continuing my own gel nails at home or even while traveling.  

The largest part of the whole set is the LED light box, but in comparison, it's about the size of a large sunglasses case.


I was super excited to find this acrylic organizer in Marshals.  It holds my whole kit with room to spare for additional gel colors.

You can purchase steps 1 and 3 right where you by the kit.

I do not know how long the LED light will last, but in researching it, I am seeing that all those who have reviewed it have not mentioned needing another lightbox yet.  They are not too terribly expensive to purchase through Amazon IF they go bad.  You do need to be careful though, there is a huge difference between LED and UV lights.  

All in all, I'm very happy with my at home gel manicure.

What can I say?

I think I "nailed" this one!





















Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.