Saturday, March 9, 2019

Coupon Caddy Organization

I don't know about you, but I am not a big fan of carrying around tons of retail rewards cards and current store coupons.

These types of things add clutter to your purse, or bulk to your wallet, depending on how many you have, and usually end up scattered around, and/or expired for months.

It's really a tricky balance between saving money in the stores where you shop frequently AND keeping your purse and life in good working order.

I decided to do something about that...


For the longest time, I have used this Buxton accordion wallet as my "home" for coupons related specifically to stores on online shopping - not for food coupons.


It's done its job, however, there were a few drawbacks.  

It was not wide enough, side-to-side, as I would have liked for it to be, and it could only expand front to back to a certain point before the zipper was stressed.  You can see in the above photo that it was pulled quite taut.  I always worried that when I zipped it up it would finally break and explode the contents all over the place.


When opened, there were great compartments, which I used decorative duct-tape and my label maker to organize.  But, the length and width were still an issue and I knew there was no way that that was ever going to change.

So...

I bit the bullet and ordered this from my consultant with Thirty-One.


This is the Coupon Organizer in the Origami Pop pattern.  I believe it is retired as I cannot find in on the Thirty-One website.  However, I did find similar options here.

And, you can get this option directly for $1.00 from...yep, you guessed it...the DOLLAR TREE!


I have bought this to use as a travel organizer, but because it has the same type of accordion set up inside, it would work perfectly in this application as well.  


Here is a size comparison of my old Buxton caddy with my new Thirty-One caddy.

I liked that the sides were softer than the old one and that it was much taller and wider.

Now, it was time to tackle the contents.


 pulled out the reward cards and coupons.  I reviewed the expiration dates and then checked online to see if those particular retailers accepted expired coupons. Some do, more about that in a minute.

I recycled those that were not good and then placed the good ones into the new caddy.


Next, I shuffled through the OVER 60 Bed, Bath, & Beyond coupons that were the main culprit of bulk in the old organizer.

Did you know that BB&B accepts expired coupons?  Yep!  They do.  I know it first hand as I've used expired coupons for purchases both in the store and online.  I was told about this at the check-out at BB&B by an employee and darn if they weren't correct.

The other great thing about BB&B coupons is that you can use as many coupons as needed for as many items you purchase.

Example:  You place 6 items on the counter.  You pull out 6 coupons.  They will apply a coupon per item.  

Tip:  Look over and organize BB&B coupons carefully.  Most of them say 20% off a single item.  However, some are for $5.00 off.  Look over your intended items to decide if 20% is more than $5.00 off that item.


I offered some coupons to friends on Facebook, because, let's face it...I will never buy 60 items at BB&B in the near future and I like to pass savings on whenever I can.

I did keep quite a few.  I have a bridal shower and wedding to attend this spring and the bride is registered at BB&B.

Now onto those pesky "hard cards."


Stores are getting savvy by offering "rewards" cards to their customers.  I love a good reward card, especially when it can save me money.

However, these cards take up A LOT of room in your wallet.  I also don't like to get them mixed up with my bank credit cards or my insurance cards, so I keep them separate.

The easiest way to keep them is to punch or drill a small hole in the upper left-hand corner and attach them together using a metal index card ring.

The rings can be found in the office sections of big stores, and of course on Amazon

Get together with a gal friend to share the rings.  

I have an industrial strength hole punch, but a drill and a small bit will work just as well.  Make sure you use all safety precautions when using a drill, please!  Drawing blood is not worth organizing your store cards!


Once everything was re-organized, I had this.  Everything neat and orderly...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh


I attached the metal ring to the hole in the zipper so that both pieces were attached, making it easy for me to grab and go.

I typically keep this in my car so that I have it with me, BUT not in my purse.  I don't want the added weight or bulk.  If I'm shopping with a friend, I do grab it if I know I'm going to be frequenting those stores.

Before I end this post I want to send out some cautious words.


The individual consumer in this country is in about $7000 or more dollars in personal debt.  The national debt statistic is $420 plus BILLION dollars in consumer debt.  It's a vicious cycle that keeps good people a "slave" to the almighty dollar.

That said, we must continue to buy the things we need in order to survive.

Shopping CAN be an addiction for some, but it also is an easy way for others to feel temporarily better when avoiding real issues like overwhelming debt or other problems. (It really does make you feel better...it's a brain thing!)

Saving money while using coupons or store related cards WILL NOT help you if you spend money you don't have and get deeper and deeper in debt.  If you are struggling with debt, reach out to someone, no matter how hard or embarrassing it may be.  These are not rules I want you to break!


Okay...enough of the tough stuff.

Have a great Saturday.  Spend it organizing your coupons! (wink, wink) 




Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.