Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Dollar Tree Front Door Wreaths for March

You know what a fan I am of the Dollar Tree.

This month, I set a goal to make my front door wreaths with materials entirely from the Dollar Tree.

Which also means that they are VERY cost effective, especially as I have double front doors which means two wreaths instead of one.

I perused my local DT and realized that I had limited choices as the Easter stuff was already out. (I took advantage and also bought my wreath materials for that holiday as well.)  But, I did find some things that I liked and took advantage of some of the Easter stuff for these wreaths.

Here's what I got:


2 Wire Wreath forms from the craft aisle

2 St. Patrick Day Plaques

6 Lime Green Tube Mesh

4 White Roll Mesh

I already had wire, but some folks recommend pipe cleaners.  Either way, it's a personal preference.

I had never made a mesh wreath, so I "YouTubed" and "Pinterested" until I got the gist of making one (or tow in this case). There are a lot of different techniques, and no one is right or wrong.  I picked one that I thought would work best for this and away I went.


I started by cutting the white mesh into 6-inch strips.  I mostly eyeballed them while also watching TV.  I cut as many as I could get out of each roll.  I used 2 whole rolls for each wreath.


Once every strip was cut I rolled 3 at a time into small rolls.  This mesh naturally rolls up because it's been on a roll to begin with, so this process wasn't hard at all.  I grasped them between my pointer finger and thumb and then squeezed them together in the middle.


You can see that they make a "bow" like shape.


I twisted my wire around, back twisting a few times to hold them into place.  Super Easy!

I was able to make around 10 per roll which gave me a total of 40, 20 for each wreath.

I then opened my bags of lime green tube mesh and got to work on that.


It was easier to manipulate because it was all ready to go.  I wound figure "8's" between my thumb and pointer finger, ending up with 3 loops on top and on the bottom.  I cut the tube mesh just above my thumb.


I twisted the wire on the same way and essentially ended up with this 3 winged butterfly looking thing!

I was able to make about 12 of these per package.  That gave me a total of 72 or 36 per wreath.


It was now time to assemble the wreaths.

I started by adding all the white bows, starting with the cross pieces of the wire wreath and then distributing them around in an equal fashion.  There's no right or wrong, must try to get them on the wire form equal distance from each other.


Next, I used the lime green bows to fill in where there were gaps and to add a different dimension to the overall wreath.

I wanted it to be fun and quirky, especially as the lime green tube mesh filled in the open spaces really well.  I could have added another roll of the white mesh, BUT my DT only had 4 left, so I had to use what I could find.


In the end, I was very happy with how full they both came out.


Hanging on my door, they are perfectly adorable and will be enjoyed by us, and hopefully my sweet neighbor across the street...I always try to give her something to look at.


Total cost for both wreaths was a whopping $14.

Seriously... that's $7.00 per door.  You will never beat that with a store-bought wreath or even one you make yourself from the craft store.

I'm excited about the materials I got for next month's wreaths...maybe I'll share them on the blog as well.

Here I go, breaking all those rules!!!




Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.