Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Backyard Summer Tour

One of my favorite things about the spring and summer months is enjoying our backyard space.

We have a rather large backyard, and when we purchased this house from my hubby's parents, it was mainly a large stretch of grass, large, large, large bushes (read overgrown), a concrete patio, and many azalea bushes.

However, it also had water front footage and the POTENTIAL for a really beautiful space.

Of course, 20 years later, we've gotten it to the point of saying we're done.  We've made all the improvements we're going to make.

Is the yard truly done?

Probably not, but we're going to let the next owners (whenever that may be) decide how they want to add and subtract to the yard.

For us... we're done.

So, sit back, and let's take a stroll around our backyard spaces.  


View from our dock, out over the water.



We have a "turtle deck" that my hubby placed in the water to accomodate the numerous turtles that like to sun themselves.  Sometimes there are dozens on that deck!


This is the view, looking up towards our home from the dock.  You can see that the backyard is quite large in all directions.


On the left side of the yard is a large bed of shade loving plants.  It's evolved over the years as trees have been removed.


A small raised deck is a nice quiet area to relax.


We have a sunken fire-pit area that at one time was a pool.  Not needing nor wanting the maintenance of a pool anymore, we transformed it into this walled area.


To the right of the yard is my favorite spot.  A large cherry tree shades this area and at night it has lights woven throughout it's branches.


It creates this shaded area where I've placed different rest spots like the bench above and this chair.


A sweet path takes you through from the patio to the side gate.



By one of the three deck levels a dogwood tree provides shade as well as houses at least one nest every spring.  A mated pair of Catbirds have currently taken up residence.


I let the branches hang low so that it creates these little nooks and crannies.


I like how it frames this little pagoda.


We took the existing patio and created a DIY outdoor kitchen area.  I had. the countertop given to me, so using concrete blocks covered with wood and treated for the outdoors, we were able to make an area for cooking and serving.


We placed an industrial grade stainless kitchen table as a prep space - it's been out here for at least 10 years.

We also created a sitting area as well.


Here's a great overall view from our lanai.


An old wheelbarrow is where all my herbs grow, perfect for cutting as were cooking either indoors or out.


The deck spaces have evolved over time.


We have three different levels, all accessable with a step or two.


Different areas to gather and eat or talk provide lots of entertaining spaces when we have friends or family over.



A smaller deck provides are area to sun and lounge yourself.


You can also access the left side of the yard, near the fire pit.


The terraced steps lead to the large garden bed and raised deck as well as the fire pit.


Near the fire pit is this water feature.  I like the combination of water, fire, earth, and air.


Up the back steps and your onto our covered lanai area which leads into the house through the back porch.  We also have a huge wall of sliders in our living room area.


Each year, I fill planters with a profusion of flowers and plants.


I stick to earth toned colors so that it coordinates with the soft surfaces of my house...

Plus, I just gravitate to those colors anyway.


I'm careful to select and combine plants that will work in the area when they will reside.

Shade or sun...


Here's a great shot of the plant that I placed on one of the "cookie" projects I did earlier.


I always reuse items from previous seasons, like this sweet momma and babies hedgehog set.


The gnomes and succulent planter made it's way to our coffee table.


I created this outdoor light by simply spray painting a clay pot, turning it over and inserting a solar stake through the hole.


My weathered asian statue and succulent elephant planted also resides of one of the "cookies" I made as well.


You're always welcomed to stop by my garden and enjoy the seclusion and solitude to be found there.

It's a place where there are no rules, so there's none to be broken.













Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.