Saturday, July 20, 2019

Faux Succulent Napkin Rings

I love succulents.

I especially love the faux succulents at the Dollar Tree.

I decided to turn them into something I could use every day.


I started with these materials.

4 faux succulents and the Jute Twine from the Dollar Tree along with a paper towel roll.


I measured 1.5 inches from the end of the paper towel roll, making tic marks all the way around the roll.


I used my pencil to connect the marks so that it was "even" all the way around.


Using a craft knife (pkg of 4 from the Dollar Tree), I cut on the line.


I ended up with this ring.

See where I'm going with this yet?


I took a roll of the jute twine and pulled approximately 8-9 yards off the roll.  I used my "fingertip to nose" measurement here.


I wrapped it into a ball around my fingers, small enough to loop through the paper towel ring.


I started lopping the twine, pushing each strand next to the last strand.  


Once I had about 5 strands, I used a small clip to hold the original end.


I continued all the way around the ring until I met the starting point.

A bit of hot glue and the twine was secured.



I pulled one of the faux succulents from the pot it came in and cut off the stem all the way down to the base leaves.  


It's all rubber, so there are no wires to contend with.


I put a large dollop of hot glue at the same point where I met the beginning and end strands of twine.


Then I placed the cut succulent over that dollop and held it in place for a minute or two.


Then I set out to make 3 more exactly like the first one.


I did use clips on each and waited until they were all at the hot glue point.

This way I only had to have the glue gun plugged in for a bit.  I hate when the hot glue seeps out when you're not using it.


And just like that, I had "Pottery Barn" inspired napkin rings.

Cost:  $4 for succulents, $1 for twine, $0 for paper towel holder and rest of supplies.

$5.00!!!


The paper towel holder is the perfect diameter for large "Lapkins."  You know, those fabric napkins that are large enough to cover your lap; much bigger than a paper napkin.


The rings look great holding my real Pottery Barn napkins (14 years old!) and paired with my place-setting.


I should make 4 more for an even 8 set.  I still have plenty of paper towel holder, and could even introduce another style of faux succulent.


I love how rustic they are, but I especially love how affordable they are.

It's a rule breaker, not a bank breaker!








1 comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.