Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Easy Rustic Dollar Tree Hook

My love for the Dollar Tree is evident with my continued shopping trips, great buys, and DIY's.

Today's post is no exception.

The Dollar Tree has these great metal hooks that we've used in our garage.


They come 3 to a pack and include screws.

Because of their design, you can use them to hold different types of things, including replacement batteries for power tools, heavy outdoor extension cords, and tools.

I decided to make one into a rustic indoor version for our daughter's apartment.

Here's how it worked out...


I started with the hooks, some twine that I already had (but Dollar Tree sells twine in packs of 3) and my hot glue gun.


Before I started on the hook, I took a Zig Painty Pen in gold and painted the front of two screws.  This will help them to blend into the finished hook when mounted to the wall.


I put a drop of glue on the inside of one of the hooks and started the twine just short of the end.


I wrapped the twine around, adding hot glue where I thought it needed it.  I worked my way up to the end of the hook.

I used tiny dabs of glue to cover the end fully.


From there, I began to work my way back down, carefully wrapping and glueing where needed.

It was easy to add drops of glue on the metal part and then wrap the twine over the drops.


I worked the twine around, making sure to push it towards the previous wrapped twine so that no silver metal parts showed.


As it got closer to the top, I just hot glued and wrapped to continue to total coverage of the metal.


When I "turned the corner" on the hook, I carefully overlapped over previous twine on the inside edge.  

Using the hot glue to guide this was key.


You can see here how I used the shape of the hook to detail the twine and make sure that the inside curve did not get bulky with twine.


Tip:  Make sure the front of your hook looks even with the twine wrap, which will mean that the back won't be some "cute."  This is okay.  It's going against the wall anyway!


I continued to work to the other part to the hook.


Once I was close, I used the hot glue and twine to "finish" off the top edge of the hook.

I added a dollop of clear glue to make sure that it was firmly in place.


By this point, the screw tops were dry and the hook was ready.


Here's a before and after.

This is a super easy project that will cost you $2 if you get both the hooks and the twine.  Both are found in the tool aisle.

These are a great, budget-friendly option for any home.

Plus, they are great dupes for higher-end hooks found at popular decor stores.

Break those budget rules baby!


Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.