Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Baskets For A Cause

As a retired teacher, I've taught thousands of children.  Most of them were middle schoolers, and despite the reputation of middle schoolers in general, I did love every single one of them.

However, over the years, as most teachers will tell you, there are a few who seem to become a part of your heart as well.

These are the ones that you become close to and as they grow and mature, you are still an important part of their lives too.

This is case with my Troy.

Photo Credit: Christina Haynes (Troy's mom)
This 18 year old, immensly talented both on and off the sports field, is fighting the greatest fight of his life.  A rare kidney cancer that's required he and his parents to travel to MD Anderson in Houston, TX for the chance to participate in a clinical trial to cure him

I can't write much more because this is hard enough to put down on paper, but I do ask that if you are a praying person, please add this to your prayers.

Now, onto the reason for this post...

A fundraiser with a silent auction is coming up, so I created 3 baskets to be auctioned in the effort to raise money for Troy's care.

Here's how easy it was.


I first gathered several products from the Young Living line of essential oils and self-care.

I had several products in my stash, so it was easy to coordinate different "themes" for each basket.

The one above was centered around hair care.


This basket had a skin care theme.


While this basket had a baby/toddler theme.

I of course went to my local Dollar Tree to find the following:

Baskets
Shred
Theme related items
Curly Bows
Shrink Wrap

I spent a total of $35 at the Dollar Tree for these items.


Next, I placed the shred in the bottom of each basket, fluffing it with my hands in order to separate and add lift to the items I placed inside.

Then, I arranged the items, starting with the tallest/largest items in the back.


I worked the smaller items forward, creating a cascading effect.


This allows the items to be viewed as potential bidders are looking over each basket.

I arranged the curly ribbons in the front, weaving them around some of the items there.  This added volume and dimension to the baskets.


Now it was time to do the shrink wrap.

Dollar Tree always has this in stock, BUT, you may need to hunt for it.  Sometimes I've found it on the ends of the wrapping aisles, other times it's among the wrapping paper and ribbons.

Be diligent, and grab some extra so you have it on hand.


These packages come with these great big white ribbon pull bows.

I simply grabbed the skinny ribbons, pulled, and the bow "magically" formed.

I tied a knot in the back to the bow.  The tails of the skinny ribbon are used to tie the bow to your wrap, so I waited to cut those after I had attached the bow.


TIP:  Make sure to pull those skinny ribbons pretty tight, otherwise your bow will not be fluffy.  Don't pull too tight though or you will break the ribbon.  Take your time!


Next, I opened up the shrink wrap bag and placed the basket inside.  

TIP:  BE CAREFUL!  There is writing near the bottom of the bag, so make sure that that part is on the bottom of your basket.


From there, I created staggered gathers across the front of the basket.  


I used a heat gun from my craft stash, but you can use a hair dryer to "melt" the shrik wrap.

When shrinking the wrap on a basket, move the heat source continually over the wrap, about 6-8 inches away from it.  Don't hold the heat source steady, or the wrap with melt and pop open.

TIP:  Moving the heat source over the entire wrap, going back to the spots after you've done the whole thing, is the best way I've found to shrink the wrap without melting it.


I added the bows at the top, tying the skinny strips in a knot and then cutting the excess line.


I gathered the excess wrap at the top and snipped it off so that only about 6 inches was left up there.

This made the baskets look professional.


To complete each one, I added a "theme" title and as list of the contents of each basket.

This will help bidders understand the contents and the value of what's inside.

Making these types of baskets is an easy and fun way to donate to great causes.  It's also a great way to give a gift - a collection based on theme, or small gifts gathered into one larger gift experience.

Try it out.

Oh, and say a prayer...lots of them if you will.







Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.