Saturday, June 22, 2019

Recycled Boxes

I ordered some sheets from Amazon the other day and they arrived in these sturdy brown cardboard boxes, which were inside the larger Amazon box.

As soon as I took the sheets out, I KNEW that I could use these boxes to complete a NO COST DIY project that had been rolling around in my head.


What drew me to these boxes was first, the heavy duty construction and thick side walls.


I also liked that they opened "top wise" but were the slip in type that kept them comfortably and securely closed.

So...

I started off by measuring the top and the front side of the box.


The top was a bit over 11 inches from side to side.


It measured just a bit shy of 10 inches from front to back.


The front side measured a bit over 3 inches from side to side.


The length of the front side was over 11.5 inches.  I double checked those measurements to make sure I had them correct.

I needed them for the next part.


I grabbed my Mod Podge in Matte Finish, a cheap brush, some typeset designer paper (12x12 sheets) and these adhesive metal bookplates from Martha Stewart.

I got to work.


I dumped a dollop of the Mod Podge on the box and spread it evenly with the brush.


I made sure to cover the top and the front side completely.  

I didn't worry about going over the sides as I knew it would dry clear and those would be concealed in the side of the box when closed.


After cutting and dry fitting my designer paper to the top and front side, I laid it over the Mod Podge, carefully pressing from the middle out to avoid air bubbles.

TIP:  When using Mod Podge, make sure you have totally covered the base of your item BEFORE you place your covering over it.  This helps you to avoid as many air bubbles as you can.



Once the paper was smooth, I used the brush to paint a generous layer of the Mod Podge over the top of it, covering it completely and extending past all the edges.


I let the Mod Podge dry.  

I know it looks shiny here but that is only because it was still wet.



Once it was fully dry, I peeled the backing off the bookplate and adhered it to the front of the box.

Since I had two boxes and two bookplates, I made a second one.

Here's how they turned out.


These boxes are both exactly the same size and will be perfect for storing any type of paper items, memorabilia, office supplies, paper projects...

Really anything you can image.

I love that they are now put to use and not in the landfill or the recycling center.

I checked out similar type boxes for purchase...

They were anywhere from $12 to $20 EACH!

Yep...breaking rules left and right!




Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.