Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Dollar Tree Essential Oils "House"

I know I write and create A LOT with Dollar Tree purchases, but when there are so many inspirational ideas out these using these AFFORDABLE Dollar Tree products, I can't help myself.

Like this little number...


I found this sweet little shadow box house in the frames section of my local Dollar Tree.  

I saw so much potential that I bought it, brought it home, and got to work.


I started the project by using some leftover designer paper from a project that will posted to the blog this coming Saturday.

A bit of typeset that I "pieced" inside the little house.

I use the outside to create the angle, and then just kept cutting it down to fit inside.

I was able to get two strips for the right and left side of the house.


I took a smaller strip, used the top peak to create the exact fit there and then placed it inside and cut the bottom even.


It dry fit perfectly.

I grabbed a chip brush and my Matte Mod Podge and got to work adhering those strips inside the little house.


Once it dried, I took it to my workshop and cut down a scrap piece of lathe strip just a tad over the width of the inside.  

I used my stain to lightly add a bit of color to those strips.

I let them dry for a few hours.


Using my Gorilla Wood Glue, I rubbed some on the bottom of the inside, evenly from left to right.


I then put the piece of lathe strip in and pushed it down till it was tight.

Remember when I said that it was just a tad over the width measurement?  This is so it was "tight" when I pushed it in.


I added glue to the sides and back to the other piece of lathe strip and pushed it into the little house, just above the center part.  Again, the wider cut allowed it to fit snugly into place.

I let both of these dry.

Now...

I had this.


This is the absolute cutest essentials oils house.  

It stands on it's own, but could also be mounted on a wall with Command strips or a hanging bracket.

These little houses could also be used for tiny figurines, matchbox cars, little trinkets, or miniatures.

Total cost... $1.00.

I had the rest.

Stop by on Saturday to see what I do with that designer paper!




Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.