Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Master Your Week!


One of the misnomers upon retirement is this:

"I will have time to get all the things done that I couldn't get done when I was working!"

Ummmm.....

Well......

That's not necessarily true.  But why?

In my case, it wasn't because I got overinvolved with community activities or things like that.

It was simply that I thought I had all the time in the world now that I wasn't working, totally forgetting that I have the same 24 hours in a day that I did before.

It took me a while to figure out how to RESTRUCTURE that time and really become productive in retirement.

I realized that I needed to practice the same organization techniques that I used when I was working.

I'm going to share those with you today, tweaked to fit my retirement lifestyle.


It first started with my calendar. 

I was always decorating my calendar with washi tapes and stickers, it was the teacher in me!  I loved to lay out the month so that it was colorful and appealing.  

I hadn't been doing that since I retired and found that I really missed it.

This organization was very cathartic and got my brain in gear for everything that was coming up in the weeks and months ahead.

I added this process back into my routine and it proved to me that my brain functions best when I create a colorful and engaging monthly "photo" in my mind as well as on the paper calendar.

No... I cannot use a digital calendar.  My brain doesn't function like that.  I need to see the whole month, not a small version with "dots" indicating an event.


Once the month is done (I add things as they arise during the month), I look at things that will affect the week.

Things like camping trips, meetings, appointments, and commitments.

This allows me to cohesively plan each week of the month.

In order to do that, I created two weekly organizers on my MAC, geared to my needs as a planner.


I created one sheet (right) to map out the "time" of my day.  

This is similar to an appointment log and easy to create on any computer.

The other (left) is a combination of the "to-do" list, blog responsibilities, projects, and appointments.

It too is easy to create and customize on any computer program.


On Sunday afternoon, I pull some of my markers and "fancy pens" and start writing out the upcoming week.


I write down all the appointments for that week.  This is helpful because it affects the "time" chart when I get to that.

I next write out the big projects that I want to tackle for the week.  I found that breaking those projects up into smaller bits helps me to complete them.

I may not get all of that project complete in one week, but if I don't, I migrate the unfinished tasks to the next week when I plan again the following Sunday afternoon.

I then add my "to-dos" down the left side, which I pull from a longer running list in a separate notebook.  (I am always writing out things I want "to-do" on sheets of paper in a notebook I use for random thoughts and brain dumping.)

Once that sheet is complete, I begin to block out my timesheet.

 

I first mark all the exercise/yoga classes and work-out times at the gym across the weekly spread.

Then, I block out the cleaning I want to get accomplished each day.  (I have a set schedule of cleaning tasks per day.  Let me know if you are interested in seeing how I have organized our house cleaning!)

I next schedule in the set weekly appointments.  

Once those items are out of the way and on the schedule, I block in time to work on the blog, complete the list items, and jump into the projects.

I usually stop blocking time around the 4-5pm section, unless I have an evening commitment or meeting.


I realize that it might seem a "bit much" when you look at it and think "really?"  

I'm retired...why am I doing all of this, right?

Well, I'm retired from my job, but not retired from my life.  I am running a blogging business, still taking care of our home, paying bills, planning vacations, being a long-distance momma, doing laundry, exercising, meeting friends for lunch, etc...  Life is still happening only it doesn't include my former job.

Plus, I LIKE to do things that motivate me and help me to grow as a person.

And, I will tell you that I get so much more done, ON MY TIME, and still have plenty of time to relax and enjoy retirement.

In reality, it makes my time productive which makes me content.


As the week progresses, I mark through the completed tasks.

Things that don't get done this week will migrate to next week and so on as needed.

I find the Sunday afternoon planning sessions to be very relaxing because I'm no longer stressed about what's coming up the next week...

AND

I'm getting all the things done that I want to accomplish.

I don't know how many retired friends say... "I retired to have more time, and I have less time now than when I was working."

Nope...we ALL have the same 24 hours in a day.

It's how you structure those 24 hours for yourself which determines what you get done.

Break those rules and make them work for you!











Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.