Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Quick and Easy Organization

When we moved our youngest to Hollywood, California this summer, there was A LOT to do.

The 5 days of travel out.  The unpacking.  The IKEA trips and assembly.

Shew...it was a BUSY 5 days.

But, we got her apartment as done as we could and she was happy.

I just got back from my first trip out to see her since we moved her in, and she "graciously" allowed me to do a bit more organization while I was there.

See, she had put away all her bathroom "stuff" when we first moved her out there.  In all the hub-bub of moving, and in an effort to relinquish some momma control, I just gulped and let her do it herself (insert self-control standards here).  However, on this visit, she acknowledged that those areas had become a bit disorganized.

Since I was there, she let me take control (insert angelic choir music).

Here's where we started.


Between the backside of her shower/tub combo is this amazing storage cabinet that's as deep as the tub and very wide.

You can see, in an effort to get unpacked when we first arrived, things had made their way into the cabinet, BUT had not really placed thoughtfully.

The upper shelves we great for storing all sorts of bath toiletries, but the shelves are deep and things were getting pushed back and to the sides.

It was hard to figure out what she had and what she needed.


The bottom section had boxes that were still unpacked, even though they were things that she didn't need now, but might need later.

It had also become an area of storage, but with little rhyme or reason.

So...

Off we went to Marshall's for some clear organizers to set this area straight.


I am sure you are wondering why I didn't go to my beloved Dollar Tree for bins.

Simple reason:  This is a dark, deep cupboard that reaches from floor to ceiling.  In order for things to be seen and easily accessible, clear bins make the most sense.

Marshall's has lots of these types of containers and bins to choose from in their KITCHEN and BATH sections.  Make sure you check out both sections and don't be afraid to use something in an alternative space or way.

The large clear acrylic bins came with 2 together and cost $9.99.  The smaller bins (2 together) cost $7.99.  I also grabbed 2 acrylic lazy susans at $7.99 each.  


Once I got back to her apartment, I pulled everything out of the cupboards and went through that stuff to organize, purge, combine, and group it all together.

If you want to see how I do this, here's my own linen closet organization post.


Using the large bins, I organized her first aid, meds, and general stuff in the back of the most reachable shelf.  She can see through the bins into that area and quickly grab what she needs.

In the front, I used one of the lazy susans to organize her hair needs and the other to organize her body lotions and soaps.


Behind that, I placed some bath supplies.  The upper shelves were used for storage and her tissues.


The bottom cupboard was used for towels and t.p., and that left plenty of room for general storage of things like her wigs, nail supplies, and some memorabilia items she wanted to keep.

But I wasn't done.

I had only used the two large bins and the 2 lazy susans.

I still had two rectangular bins.

So, I did a quick clean and organization under her sink.



Those rectangular bins fit perfectly.

One holds her supplements and her travel essential oils.  The other holds some beauty supplies.

Her essential oils are snug in their case between the two.

Because I was "on a roll," I went ahead and straightened up the rest of the sink cabinet.


I used an organizer she already had to corral her hair ties and clips.


I moved things around in her other drawer so they fit a bit better.


The lower cabinet holds her make-up supplies while the opposite lower cabinet holds her hairdryer.


All in all, this took me about an hour from start to finish with both the storage cabinet as well as the sink cabinet.

No rules were broken here, but things are most assuredly in order now.

If you take a bit of time and effort, you can easily organize and straighten a cupboard here and there.

Before you know it...you are fully organized!









Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.