Saturday, October 26, 2019

Digital Cookbook Stand

I am on IPad #2.

I purchased my original IPad many years ago (I'm thinking it's over 10 years old!).  In fact, it's so old that it has the big charging port and plug.  It still worked, but I was afraid that it would give up before I got a new one and I didn't want to take the chance.

So, a little over 2 years ago I bought a second IPad.  It's still going strong.

However, so is the first IPad!

It still charges, still gets our internet, still is in excellent condition.

So, what to do with it?

After a bit of google research, I decided to use it as a digital cookbook for the kitchen!

Now it just needed a stand.


So, off to Marshall's I went to find a sturdy and size appropriate cutting board.

I found one for $12.99.

I brought it home and rummaged through my wood pieces until I found exactly what I needed.


A piece of lathe strip and a piece of corner trim.

I cut both to the length I needed.  I wanted them to go almost to, but not touching the left and right bottom sides of the board.


Once the lathe piece was cut I just placed it on the corner strip, marked it, then cut it to the fitted length.


A bit of Gorilla Wood glue and some drying time and the IPad ledge was ready for the next step.


I placed the ledge where I wanted it to be near the bottom front of the cutting board.

I used the IPad to test out and help me get the vertical placement that worked for me.


Using my tape measure, I marked two spots about 1.5 inches up from the bottom edge.


Next, using the smallest drill bit I own, I drilled 2 pilot holes clean through the cutting board to the back.


This now allowed me to mark the ledge.


Using the same drill bit, I cut pilot holes into the ledge.

If I had not, the wood would have split had I tried to just nail it on its own.


Now it was ready for the ledge to be attached.


From the back of the cutting board, I hammered in two long finishing nails.

They were hammered flush with the back which gave me a nice reveal of the nails through the front of the cutting board.

I placed some glue along the back of the ledge, including in the small holes and placed them over the nails.

They went in and stopped about a fourth of an inch above the board.  You can see the gap above.


Using a rubber mallet, I gently hammered in the ledge from the front edge into the nails so that it met the cutting board with a flush mount.

I cleaned up any glue seepage with a damp paper towel.


The front was now done, but it needed a way to make it stand up on the counter.


Using another piece of scrap wood for the back support, I cut an angle at the top using my miter saw.

I just eye-balled the angle and worked it against the board until I found the angle that I thought would work best for me.


I drilled two pilot holes through the piece using the same drill small bit.

I then placed it on the back of the board in the spot that I wanted to attach the wood support.

You can see the pencil line that I drew on the board to show the top edge of the angled support.

I placed the support at that line and held it while I drilled down and through the support just enough to create guide holes for the next step.


Using some small screws that I had, I drilled them into the support so that just a bit of each was revealed on the other side.


Now, all I had to do was line up those screw points inside the pilot holes on the back of the cutting board.


Once that was done I finished drilling them through so they grabbed the board and were very sturdy.

I did not glue here because if I want to store this I can easily unscrew the screws and remove the support piece.


It worked exactly how I envisioned it!


I love when my plans come together so easily and quickly.


Now it was time to condition it for use.

A bit of Formby's Tung Oil will seal it nicely without compromising the color of the wood.


Now, my OG ("original gangster") IPad has a new lease on life.

It's a great way to grab those Pinterest recipes that are saved on my account.

I can also watch YouTube videos, Amazon Prime, or listen to music as well while puttering in the kitchen.

The total cost was just $12.99 for the cutting board.  I had the other bits and bobs lying around.

I love being a Repurposed Rule Breaker!

Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.