Saturday, April 18, 2020

Easy Pandemic Pedicure

Let's face it ladies...

We're really missing our self-care service people.

Am I right?

My roots are growing out at an exponential rate, my facials are non-existent, and I WAS in desperate need of a good spring pedicure.

But, knowing that we've got quite a bit more time in self-isolation, I decided to take matters into my own hands and give myself a pedicure.

Now - let me say for the record right.  If you have a pre-existing condition such as neuropathy or diabetes, or other health issue that can be directly affected by a non-professional working on your feet, DO NOT attempt an at-home pedi unless you've been cleared by your doctor to do such.

Pedicures for those with health issues can lead to serious infections and trauma, so do not attempt it unless you've been specifically instructed to by your attending physician.

I am not a professional cosmetologist.

Okay, let's get started on this.


Gather the materials you will need.

I have had and have given myself hundreds of pedicures throughout my lifetime.

I recommend the following tools (click links to purchase if you are interested).


I also have my own cuticle moisturizer made from almond oil and essential oils.

You can also find great oils without having to DIY.

Also, have a towel and some tissues on hand for cleaning off the tools as you work to remove dead skin and cuticles.


Start by trimming the length of your nails with your nail clippers.




Then, using your nail file, gently file the nails into your desired shape.  A good rule of thumb is to shape them according to the shape of your toe tips.

Because I wanted to do a basic pedicure on my toes to get through this period of isolation, I cut my nails down fairly short.


Next, you will want to soak your feet and ankles.

A few years back, I purchased this foot bath and it's an absolute dream to use.  

However, you can use a cheaper option like this one, or even hop into a shower or bath prior to moving to the next steps of your pedicure.

I don't add any foot soaks to this, but there are plenty available if you like to add them.

You can always add Epsom salts, baking soda, vinegar, or essential oils as well.

I let my feet soak for a good ten minutes.  


I pulled my feet out and patted them dry.

I used my Ped-Egg to really remove the dry skin from my heels, outer toe box, and the side of my big toes.

I won't even show you the outcome of this, but let's just say that there was A LOT of dead skin than came off.

I recommend keeping a heel rasp in your shower as well so that you can perform weekly touchups to these areas as you shower.


Now is the time to get out any "gunk" under the free-edge of your toenails.

Take your time, this can be a bit ticklish or "nippy" if you go too fast or try to dig down too far.

Make sure to get any stuff lingering near the right and left edges of the free edge.

Because your feet, nails, and the stuff are softened from the soak, it will come out so much easier than if you tried it before you soak.


Now, place a bead of the cuticle remover around the three sides of your nails.

Leave it for a few seconds, allowing the product to really work.

I love this product and have used it for years on both my toes and fingers.


The spoon pusher is a great way to push back cuticle that has crept up over the nail.

GENTLY, GENTLY, GENTLY, push back that cuticle using the edge of the pusher to work it.

You should start to see some dead cuticle on the spoon pusher as it releases itself from your nail.

You will use a tissue to clean this off as you work.


Now the cuticle nipper is a very sharp tool, so it too should be used with gentle application.

Because the cuticle is now very soft and loosened from the soak and spoon tool, you can gently snip away any dead cuticle that is left.

I recommend holding the nippers in an overhand fashion - not like scissors.

This allows you to work on your cuticles from above and not the side.

Do not work aggressively, but instead, only snip the dead cuticles and skin that you can see.


You will also want to snip a slight triangle shape from the edges of your big toenail.  This will help keep the nail from growing into the skin and creating an ingrown toenail.

We are still wearing shoes that put pressure there, so it's best to help the toes as much as possible.


At this point, you can scrub your feet, toes, and ankles (even your legs if you're so inclined) with any scrub that you have.

I used this facial scrub, but you can make your own with sugar and shower gel.  Make a paste and scrub away.

Rinse well afterwards and pat your feet dry.


I used my homemade cuticle oil to add some moisturizing to my freshly trimmed cuticles and nail beds.

I just put a drop on each nail base and massaged it into the nail and surrounding cuticle.


I then use this sample foot creme and massaged it into my feet and us my ankles, paying special attention to my heels.


My toes look great!

I skipped putting any type of polish or clear coat on my nails.

I'm not wearing open-toed shoes, so no one is going to see them.

This pedicure was simply to stop the cuticle and callous overgrowth and provide me with a bit of self-care while at home.


While this is optional, I did slip on some thick cotton peds to help the moisturizer really soak into my feet.

The socks kept me feel warm too.


And then they were done.

It's definitely not the treatment that I would get from a professional, but these times call for extreme measures.











Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.