Tuesday, April 7, 2020

10 Things That Make ME Happy Right Now

Let's face it, we're all in a holding pattern.

Life has stopped as we know it and a new "normal" is a part of our daily routine, even if we are essential and still going to work.

It's strange and unknown and can have a direct impact on our mental health.

For me, I've been looking for those simple things that make me happy.

Those things that are seemingly mundane or ritual or ordinary.

I've compiled a list to share with you.

#1 - Clean Bed Sheets

Photo Credit:  Anna Shvets

Nothing feels quite like or smells as fresh as clean bed sheets.

They immediately relax me and help me to destress from the day.

The slightly cool feel and soft texture create a cacoon of happiness when I'm winding down each night.

#2 - Comfortable Silence

Photo Credit:  Zetong Li

Sometimes, I like to hear nothing.

No television, no music, no talking, no noise.

It gives my mind a break from the constant onslaught of noises that can occur in a house each day.

It's like my brain becomes a blank slate and I can create anything I want to in that moment of silence.

#3 - Slippers

Photo Credit:  Lisa Fotios

I recently replaced my old slippers with new slippers.

The memory foam is like little clouds to my feet when I slip into them.

I'm wearing them every day... all day!

They relax my feet and allow them to breath and stretch after a winter of wearing shoes 

#4 - Freshly Baked Bread

Photo Credit:  Kaboompics.com

I've been making homemade Rosemary bread (which I will share soon) and have found that it's one of the best recipes I've even followed.

It fills our house with the best smell and we have slices for dinner, breakfast, and snacks.

It's so rewarding to create and bake your own bread - something that used to seem so hard to achieve.

#5 - Hot Tea

Photo Credit:  Lisa Fotios

I LOVE hot tea.

Earl Gray is my favorite and I might have a Harney's Paris Blend as well.

Hot tea fortifies me no matter the time of day.

I drink it out of the same handcrafted pottery mug every time.

I might have it at tea time like the British do!

#6 - Smoothies

Photo Credit:  Pixabay

I purchased a Vitamix a few months ago and we've been loving creating all different types of healthy smoothies to share.

Fruit-based smoothies seem to be our "go-to" choice, but we add different greens and supplements to round them out as actual meal replacements.

Using the Vitamix also allows us to thicken them so they have an ice cream consistency.

Perfect for a bit of decadent, but good for you, dessert.

#7 - Social Media

Photo Credit:  Pixabay

I know that social media can have a bad rap, BUT, each one of us can control what WE see on our own accounts.

With social distancing and staying home our new norm, connecting with friends and family over social media (and technology in general) is our only option during this time.

There are so many great stories out there of people doing creative and wonderful things for each other during this time.  Sharing them on social media is the best way.

It makes my heart happy to see it.

#8 - Hot Showers

Photo Credit:  Pixabay

I've always loved hot showers, but now I'm making sure to take one each day to really relax.

With no set places to be, except the living room (LOL), it's nice to spend just a bit more time luxuriating under the spray and really scrubbing my hair or standing in silence underneath the spray.

Just those few minutes more are something that feels so "spa-like."

#9 - Meditation

Photo Credit:  Pixabay

Time spent with my eyes closed and focused on my breathing keeps me grounded.

Meditation allows me to focus on one thing - my breath and inner mind.

It's a connection I make to something within me that is greater than me and allows me to control the only thing I can control.

ME

#10 - Music

Photo Credit:  Freestocks.org

I'm spending more time looking at old music from my past and new music from the present.

I've added songs to my Spotify lists that inspire me and make me happy when I hear them.

I've also reorganized my song lists and refined them to what I need to hear right now.


There's a quote that says:

"You will be exactly as happy
as you decide to be."

A long time ago, I decided to be happy every day.

Maybe not all day, every day.

But every day!

Happiness reminds us that it can be the little things...

NOTE:  If you are profoundly unhappy, depressed, suicidal, or have thoughts of harming yourself or others, please seek the appropriate help.  Happiness for many people with mental health challenges is not as easy as making a list of 10 things and admiring a quote.

Please reach out to your primary care physician, a mental health practitioner, or call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).






























Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.