Saturday, April 25, 2020

Easy Apple Pie

I WAS going to post about my homemade Rosemary Bread, but I decided to post about my Easy Apple Pie instead... I'll do the bread soon, I promise.

In this pandemic, we've been working hard to make great meals at home and I made a "semi-homemade" apple pie that's easy to create.


I used a refrigerated pie crust, sugar, 1 egg, 2 cans of apples in cinnamon, butter, a fork,  2 Granny Smith apples, and a glass pie plate.


I took one of the crusts and placed it in the bottom of the pan.

I made sure to spread it out over the sides of the pie plate.


I then put both cans of the apples in the bottom, over the crust.


I made sure to spread the apples all over the bottom of the crust as well.


I cut the skin off the Granny Smith's and then cut them into thin slices.


I placed them over the canned apples, sprinkling generously with the sugar; about a third of a cup.

Granny Smith's are on the tart side, so adding the sugar will help to sweeten them so the pie is not too tart.

I added some slivers of butter on top to give it some "tooth" as well.


I then placed the second crust over the whole pie, making sure it was evenly placed all the way around.


Using a sharp knife, I cut slits into the top crust.

This allows the air to circulate and not "blow-off" the top of the pie while cooking.


I did not get fancy with these cuts nor try a lattice formation.

You could do that if you wanted to, but I just didn't this go around.


I seamed the edges of the pie using the tines of the fork to "squish" them together.


I made sure to go all the way around and really create a nice sealed crust.


I cracked and beat the egg to brush over the pie so that it would have a nice golden color one cooked.


And just like that, in about 15 minutes, I had an apple pie ready to go into the oven.


I followed the temperature and time instructions on the side of the pie crust box, making sure to check the pie periodically and covering the edges so they didn't get too brown or burnt.

And just like that...


We hade dessert that was homemade for a lot less trouble than "real homemade!"

Hubby loved it and actually when all was said and done, I had only two slices.

I know exactly where the other 6 slices went!


What's great about this pie is that by nature, I am not really a great baker.

Baking requires exact measurements and lots of time and I would rather just "wing it," slap things together, and call it a day.

This turned out great and let me "wing-it" as I went.

Now THAT is breaking the rules!



Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.