Saturday, June 13, 2020

Making Healthy Choices

I will be the first to admit that I love sweets.

Ice cream is probably my biggest downfall in terms of sweet eating.

But, as I've aged, I've realized that TOO MUCH of a good thing is NOT such a good thing.

In fact, it's a VERY BAD thing, especially as the "sweet" in the typical American diet are really highly, over-processed sugar canes, artificial sweeteners, and addictive sugar substitutes that are slowly killing us, our families, and friends.

Here are some reasons why TOO MUCH sugar is bad for you:

Photo Credit: Suzy Hazelwood

Weight Gain
Increased Risk of Heart Disease
Increased Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
Increased Risk of Depression
Can Lead to a Fatty Liver
Increased Risk of Cellular Degeneration

to name a few...

Sugar is in almost every processed food we purchase from the store.

Even things like our condiments and "Health Food" touted items.

I often call sugar the "legal cocaine" of the food industry because it is JUST AS ADDICTIVE as the illegal drug and more people are slaves to it.

But, like anything, we all have choices and need to take personal responsibility when it comes to food and our food habits.

We as consumers need to educate ourselves and retrain our brains to eat healthier.

About 8 years ago I gave up soda for Lent and never went back.

Photo Credit: Rodolfo Clix

In fact, if I accidentally sip soda it's so sugary (even "sugar-free/diet") and immediately has a pronounced chemical taste to me that makes me cringe and shiver afterward.

So, in retraining my tastebuds, I also retrained my brain to reach for other, more healthful options.

I've substituted the "soda fizz" with sparkling waters like Perrier or simply plain water with lemon.

And can I just say...

I don't miss soda at all.

I've found that I LOVE hot tea and use LOCALLY raised honey as a sweetener.


Yes, I know honey is sugar, BUT, did you know that raw local honey has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties, and promotes digestive health?

 Raw, local honey also contains a blend of local pollen, which can strengthen a person's immune system, and reduce pollen allergy symptoms.

Photo Credit: Leah Kelley

I've also given up high sugary meal-type foods like commercial cereals, processed meals, and sugar-laden granolas and snacks.

I carefully read labels on so-called "health foods" and instead purchase those things ONLY AFTER reading and researching the product's label.


If I need a "sweet" fix during the day I will combine some greek yogurt, a few mini chocolate chips, some low sugar granola, and whatever fresh berries we have on hand.


I also love to have a fresh apple with a teaspoon of Nutella Hazelnut Spread.

Again, I know there's sugar there, but I watch portions and stick to them as much as possible.

Photo Credit: Lisa Fotios

Whenever I can, I will reach for nuts and fruits as a quick snack in the afternoon, especially if it's about 2 hours or less before dinner.

The trick to picking these healthier choices is to prepare them ahead of time.

When I get the groceries in the house, I wash ALL my fruits and veggies at that time.

While they are soaking in the sink I put away the other items.

Then, I put them out to dry and organize them in the fridge so they are easy to grab and go.



I've also started to really listen to what I am craving when I am hungry.

I tend to like more savory items that have richer flavors and are more complex on the food scale.

A typical lunch might consist of my homemade Rosemary Bread with some homemade egg salad and a few choice fruits.

I might have some scrambled eggs with some veggies mixed in and some fruit on the side.

Photo Credit: Foodie Factor

Sometimes I will have a ripe avocado on toast with some protein-based toppings.

Avocado fat is one of the best, natural fats there is.

And, because it's dense in nutrition, it fills me up faster than empty calories.

Make up a few hard-boiled eggs and store them in your refrigerator.

This way you can slice and eat OR make a quick egg-salad in a jiffy.


As for a "cheater snack..."

I really like the Quaker line-up of Rice Crisps as a "better for me" alternative to potato chips.

The cheddar crisps taste just like puffy Cheetos!

No lie...they satisfy my craving for those yummy, not so good for you, orange-staining finger devils!

Plus, the calorie content is low!

Now, don't think that I still do not enjoy sweet treats like ice cream or other sugary foods.

Photo Credit: Daria Shevtsova

I do!

But the key to anything is balance and when I am making great choices with meals and snacks throughout the day, I will have calories to spend on indulgent choices like ice cream.

I don't eat it every night.

I might eat it a few times a week.

The trick is to have healthy choices available so I can select the sweet choices when I want.

By the way... since the pandemic started, I began using the NOOM app to help myself make better choices.

I'm down 15 pounds.

Choices are everything!

Photo Credit: Ella Olsson

As we age, we MUST start making better choices so that we can indulge in the not so good ones every once in a while.

If you are what you eat...

Make sure it's something that is nutritious, healthy, and vibrant.













Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.