Saturday, June 6, 2020

Adventurous Angel: Book Review

A few months back I was scrolling through FB and saw my sweet friend Desi had posted about a book.

It was a child's book, so naturally, being a teacher, I wanted to know more.

So, I looked it up and discovered that it was written by a childhood friend (our mommas worked together and his dad was in the DE National Guard with my hubby) and I beyond excited.

I ordered it and literally had to read it twice because I bawled through the first reading.

It's called Adventurous Angel.


Written by my friend, Chris Lee, and illustrated by Jason Fowler, this book is about Chris and Sonice's (his wife) daughter, Aniyah.

Aniyah has a condition called Angelmen Syndrome.

According to the Angelmen Syndrome Foundation, AS is a chromosomal exception that happens during fetal development.

Here's more information from their website.

WHAT CAUSES ANGELMAN SYNDROME?

Humans have 46 chromosomes inside every cell in their body.  We receive 23 chromosomes from our mother and 23 from our father. Different genes are located in each chromosome.  The Angelman syndrome gene, UBE3A, is located at chromosome 15.
Some genes on the chromosome are turned on or expressed and others are turned off or silent. In typical humans, the UBE3A gene from our father is silent and our the UBE3A gene from our mother helps our brain develop.  However, in individuals with Angelman syndrome, there is a problem with the UBE3A gene from the mother and the brain cannot get the information it needs to develop and control speech, movement, and learning. All of this action in the chromosomes takes place during fetal development, and thus is part of a person’s genetic makeup. 


SYMPTOMS OF ANGELMAN SYNDROME:

Some symptoms can vary and be more severe than others, but in most children diagnosed with AS, the following are present:
Developmental delays.  These can vary from individual to individual, but common delays are:
Infants (0-24 months):  inability to support one’s head, pull oneself up to stand, and delayed motor skills like crawling.  Feeding issues due to problems sucking or swallowing. Young children: Delayed ability to walk and an unstable gait or balance issues.
Seizures. Usually, begin to occur between 18 months – 3 years old
A happy demeanor.  Frequent laughing, smiling and easily excitable
Sleep problems.  Abnormal sleep-wake cycles and diminished need for sleep
Lack of speech.  Infants display lack of cooing or babbling; young children usually use nonverbal methods of communication because conversational speech is either absent or limited to very few words

With a strong faith and determination, Chris, Sonice, their son Davahn, and their sweet angel Aniyah have built a beautiful life and are realizing a vision sent from God to write a series of books to bring awareness to this syndrome.

In fact, Chris has a strong desire to share with children and adults alike, that even though we may differ in some ways, we are alike in many ways.

Now...

Let's talk about how incredibly wonderful and sweet this book really is!


The story centers around a trip to the park with "Angel" and her momma.

We find that "Mom" has many of the same struggles as most mom's do when they are trying to "get out of the house."

But Mom takes it all in stride with patience and kindness, helping and encouraging her sweet girl, fostering independence while realizing that she will need support along the way.


Their trip to the park is full of fun, excitement, and a truly beautiful "lesson" about inclusion and love.

Throughout the book, you get a glimpse of the internal happy dialogue that Angel has with herself about her day.

I especially loved her "pancake" narrative.
I can totally relate to that!

The story naturally flows from beginning to end, taking you along on a sweet journey that's well written and captivating.

You can feel the love between the family characters and you come to know the best part of Angel.

But, I share too much...

I don't want to give it away because I want you to experience the story for yourself.


I must say, the illustrations are incredible.

Bright, colorful, and happy, they add to the heart-warming tone of the written pages.

In fact, I thought the illustrator, Jason Fowler, captured Sonice to the T.

Their simplicity makes the book eye-catching.

As one who has read literally thousands of children's books, I find them sweet and supportive of the written story.


The back of the book shares more specific information about their family, AS, and a brief synopsis.

It's also the place to find the publishing company, a little but mighty publishing company out of Sarasota, FL.


This is Chris's first book, but not his last.

I'm excited to see what's coming next.


Chris and I had talked about this book review about a month ago.

I was working on it, but for some reason, I had other content that I pushed forward.

I wasn't avoiding publishing it, but I just felt it wasn't the "right time."

And guess what...

Now I know why.

With all the unrest and uncertainty currently happening in our country, I believe that God wanted me to share it at a time when it would make the most impact to my readers.

He has a clear vision for Chris and his book (and series) and I am just a small part of that.

I am INCREDIBLY PROUD to share and promote this book, especially as it supports a family of color, an exceptional child, and the dream of a MUCH BETTER world in which we can all live peacefully together.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book be on your shelf and that you read it and share it.

Purchase one for a new baby, a child or grandchild, a community library, an elementary school, and for yourself.

If you're young, old, a parent, a grandparent, or don't even have children, this book should be in your collection.

Children's books are not just for children but for the child in all of us.

If you would like to purchase this book, use this link to purchase directly from Chris.

He will get it to you as quickly as possible.

A percentage of the proceeds with benefit the AS Foundation and a "middleman" won't take his "cut" in the process.

You can also reach Chris directly at  Visionsfulfilled20@gmail.com.

You can also find him on IG at bgkris.

I am praying for and supporting a better America for all of us.

I can do my part by sharing and supporting my friend and author, Chris Lee.

And of course, supporting his "Angel."




Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.