Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Remembering My Father-in-Law



This past week, my 102-year-old (or almost 103 years old in September) FIL fell and broke his right femur.

At his age, the invasive surgery to repair the break was not an option.

They stabilized it and sent him home to his assisted living in the medical wing of his facility with pain medication and excellent nursing and medical care.

However, a break like this coupled with his advanced age and other medical conditions was just not a good combination.

Late Friday evening, May 29, 2020, he went home to be with the Lord and his beautiful bride who had passed last May.

I am sure it was a joyful homecoming as he also got to be with his daughter and family members who were also there to greet him.

He was a man of great integrity.

He had a firm faith in the Lord, and was what I think of as a "quiet Christian."
He didn't need to tell others he was one, he let his actions speak for him.

He fought in WW2 and had an exemplary military career.

He was the state superintendent of Delaware public schools and left an educational legacy.

His stories about his childhood and growing up in Orbisonia, PA were fascinating.

How he and my mother in law met is probably one of my favorite stories - although there were some discrepancies about how interested she really was in him at the time.

He was a die-hard Orioles and Penn State fan.

He was a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat who championed people and the belief that we all are welcomed at the table of life, so move over and make room.

In his later years, he took up gardening and woodworking.

He lived an amazing life.

He rarely said "I love you," which became a funny among his kids.  They were happy to get an "Uh-huh" after saying it to him (which meant I love you too).

He and his bride raised 4 children, had 9 grandchildren, and 7 great-grandchildren.

We know he was lonely after my MIL passed away and spoke to my husband about wanting to go be with her.

He finally got that prayer answered.

The greatest thing any person can do is live a life that is a testimony and example for others.

You can find out more about his life here.

There is an old song by the Christian artist Janet Paschal that immediately came to mind at his passing.

I hope you find it as peaceful as I do when I hear it.







Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.