Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Repairing Beloved Jeans

I discovered a spot on my beloved "boyfriend" jeans that was almost a completely dreaded hole.

NOOOOOOOOOO!

These are my favorite, most-est comfortable jeans ever, and I was not about to give them up.


It was obvious that the wear and tear on these jeans, which I'm not even going to speculate the "why" of it, was almost worn through.

But, I was not going to give up just yet...

I did a bit of researching on Pinterest and fixed it myself.

Here's how I did it.


I first did a thread color match with the jeans.

Not all jeans are the same shade of blue, and most have different striations of blue and white.



Because these jeans are "faded" and distressed, I chose a lighter blue which when placed over the jeans blended really well.


I set my maching stitch to a zig-zag setting.   

You can use a straight stitch as well, but I preferred to "cover" more area with the zig-zag.


Starting as close to the edge as possible, I stitched a "zig-zagged line" towards me.

I started on the intact part of the jean material and stitched over to the opposite side of the intact jean material.

Basically, you start before the hole and end after the hole.  You want the stitching to be anchored on the part of the jean material that is solid.


Once I hit the intact portion, I reversed my stitching with my machine setting and stitched backwards onto the other intact part of the jean.


I released the reverse button and started again, slightly moving the presser foot over so that the next line of stitching was overlapping the previous line but also covering new "territory" on the hole.


This went back and forth until I had covered the hole from right to left with zig-zags.


At this point I rotated the jeans a quarter turn and repeated the exact same steps, now working from left to right and sewing over the now side to side seams.

This created a "web" of stitches that captured the hole and remaining fibers of the jeans to form a "patch" of sorts.


Here it is.

This is from the inside and yes, it looks like a mess, BUT, it's a strong patch for this rather large hole.


From the outside, it's totally covered the damage from the hole and once again, my boyfriend jeans are wearable.

The repair is not visible at all as it is on the inside of the right leg.

The repair does not brush my leg nor does it create any discomfort at all.  In fact, I don't know it's even there.

Don't despair if your favorite pair of jeans gets a hole.

Fix it quickly and securely so that you can continue to wear them.

Preferrably while you're breaking some rules!




Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.