Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Simple Hospitality

While on my trip to California last week, I took note of some of the simple things that The Beverly Hilton offered us as guests.

The little touches that made our stay enjoyable and made us feel like "movie stars."

I took note and decided to make my own guests feel the same way in an easy to "put together" fashion.

Here's what I did...

Photo courtesy of The Beverly Hilton

I first took note of the things that a luxury hotel usually does for its guests.

Free WiFi access
Fresh High-Quality Linens
Extra Blankets and Pillows
Toiletries
Snacks and Drinks
Fresh Towels
and Flowers

I knew that I could easily recreate these things in my guest room as well.

I am fortunate to have not 1, but 2 guest rooms.  Since we are officially empty nesters, there's quite a bit of room in the nest.  You may or may not have a guest room, but that doesn't mean you can't create this same idea with a large basket or just prior to your guests arriving.

I started with the smaller of the guest rooms which has a daybed that turns into a trundle.  I made sure that the bed had fresh, crisp white linens and lots of squishy pillows.




This size bed is perfect for this room because it leaves plenty of floor space for a guest.  And, because it has a trundle, I could add an additional guest if I had to.

If you don't have a guest room and are using a family member's room, a pullout sofa, or even a blow-up mattress for a guest, make sure you have clean linens for them with plenty of covers.  Your guest might also like 2 pillows, so check if they have a preference.

I have an antique trunk in this room that does double duty as storage and a suitcase stand.




Good hotels offer folding luggage racks.  This prevents you from having to stoop down to get things out of your suitcase.  A piece of furniture can do that same thing.  In a pinch, two chairs facing each other can make a great luggage stand as well.

I don't have the traditional dresser in this room because I wanted to use this large black pie safe that I have had for years.




With two drawers above and plenty of storage below, it works perfectly in this room.

Here's how I outfitted it for a guest or two.



You can see that to the left of the cabinet I have placed clean towels, an extra fuzzy blanket, and additional white linens.  I always keep linens and towels in the bedroom they "go with."  This way they do not take up room in a hall closet.  I also purchase towels that coordinate with the rooms, so once I have done the laundry I know exactly where they go.  Each room also has a set of hooks for their towels to dry so they don't have to stay in the bathrooms.




On the right side of the cabinet on the top shelf, I have placed a basket of toiletries which includes some warm fuzzy socks.  I went to the Dollar Tree of course and grabbed several items which someone might forget to grab.




Things like a toothbrush, hairbrush, Q-Tips, razors, deodorant, and shower supplies.




I just placed them all in the small basket I already had and put it on the shelf.




These are things that a hotel will provide if you forgot your own item AND they are super cheap at the Dollar Tree.  In fact, the toothbrush pouch comes with the new brush, a bristle cover, AND Crest toothpaste.  The pouch is also a sliding zipper loc pouch which makes it great for traveling.

These are also things that will not go bad so I can keep them ready to go for quite a long time.




Next to the basket is a small frame where I can write our WiFi password on the glass using a Sharpie marker.  This is a great way to do this in the event that you change your password and you don't have to re-do the sheet.  Just wipe off the marker and write the new password on it again.

I also have included a small black flashlight.  It's nice to offer this to your guest in the event of an emergency or even if they want to take it to the bathroom in the middle of the night.  A flashlight always comes in handy.




The next two shelves just have some empty baskets if guests want to use them as well as some hangars for hanging their clothes in the closet.




On top of the pie cupboard, I have a large white bird dish.  This is for a guest to place small items like loose change and jewelry.  It too is a thoughtful item to offer your guests so they don't worry about valuables sliding around or getting lost while they are living out of their suitcase.




Right before a guest arrives, I can gather some florals from the grocery store with a few branches from my yard to make a nice welcoming arrangement.   Flowers are a simple touch and can be found easily at the grocery store, or even in your own garden in the right season.




I will also create a coffee station with additional items like flavored creamer or flavor shots along with a basket of snacks like granola bars and dark chocolate.  This way a guest can help themselves to whatever they need.  It's also a little indulgence that makes guests feel special - like their own Starbucks!

However you welcome guests, whether old friends or new, it's important to make them feel welcomed.

As Maya Angelou said:


“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”


Break some rules today!


















Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.