Saturday, February 2, 2019

Simple Car Organization

Although some may disagree, a car is an investment.

I know it loses it's monetary value as soon as you drive it off the lot, however, because it gets you from place to place (job, commitments, etc.) and gives you independence, as car REALLY is an investment in personal success.

Taking care of your car helps it keep it's monetary value as well as it's personal value.  I'm not talking about the obvious here.  Washing it and performing regular maintenance is VERY important.

I'm talking about taking care of the organization inside the car!

We purchased the 2019 Subaru Crosstrek a few months ago and it is by far my favorite vehicle!

It's zippy and compact, and I especially love the styling both inside and out.  In fact, the black interior with thick orange stitching detail had me a hello.  I knew I needed to organize the inside with pops of orange!


In our former Subaru Outback, I used this white wire basket to corral items kept in the very back. 

However, an "old basket" was not going to work for my new baby, so I turned to Thirty-One and purchased the Large Utility Tote in a pattern with orange coloring.


I literally have 10 of these bags.  We use many of them when we go RVing - they are the perfect way to load and unload the RV when packing and unpacking.  They collapse neatly and store flat which makes them perfect for any job where you need a large tote but have limited space.  I also use a few in the smaller size as storage in a large closet.  They act like drawers, slipping on a shelf and holding many items.  They're perfect for keeping in your trunk to hold grocery bags.  Their uses are endless.

However, this one is expressly for my car.


All of this stuff needs to be in my car.  Let's check it out.

In the small black bag on the left, I have used Dollar Tree bags folded and placed inside.  Having a few of these great handled paper bags is an eco-friendly way of making sure that I have a bag if I need to drop into any store and didn't already have my own bags.  In addition, because they are paper I also have an emergency trash bag as well!

Above that, I have 2 IKEA rain ponchos.  IKEA carries these very affordable ($8.99) ponchos that come neatly stored within their own pocket.

Next is my Doggie World seat cover.  Our little lemon beagle leaves her little white hairs all over the place, including in our cars.  I am not going to pull dog hair out of the seats, so having a cover in both of our vehicles saves time and keeps the seats protected and in good condition.  These seat covers are also nice if you need additional placement for plants or antique shopping purchases.  They will keep your seats from getting dirty, dinged, or torn.

I always have a towel - well, for things that you might need a towel for...


Inside the large orange bag, I have a variety of things we may need.  Screwdrivers, poo bags, and an extra leash.  These are in the small black bag.


I also carry a lint brush (read puppy fur here) and an empty bag just in case.  It came as a set with the larger bag.


All of this packs away nicely into the large tote.



This tote slides easily into the very back of the Crosstrek.  It fits right up against the side and still leaves room for our frequent trips to BJs and Lowes.  If we need more room, we simply grab the handles and transfer it to the back seat.  If we have to put the back seats down to garner even more room it also fits neatly on the floor behind one of the front seats.

Having all these things in one place, not rolling around or shoved under seats or other things makes it easy to have everything we need at our fingertips.  It also keeps the car neat and orderly to boot.

Think of ways that you can organize your car with the items you might need to make your life easier while away from home and on the road.

Grab a basket, bag, or tote that you already have and organize the stuff that's taking up valuable real-estate already.

Break those rules!








Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.