Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Packing It In

Since we purchased the RV, our trips, in terms of packing have been different.  Because the RV is parked in our driveway, I take my clothes right on and put them away in the closet and drawers.  It's been quite a while since I've had to pack a large suitcase for a trip.

However, when the chance arrived to take a girl's trip to California with my daughter, I jumped at the chance to fly (one of my favorite things to do) which meant that I had to get out the large suitcase and start the process of packing.


Because we fly Southwest, I knew that we could take 2 free checked bags as well as the carry on and a purse.  I didn't need 2 checked bags, but I did want to pack with several options in mind in terms of clothing.  After all...it is L.A.

I don't know about you, but I like to have "options" when I pick out what I am going to wear each day I am away from home.  This includes our camping trips as well.  

Because flying limits your fashion options (unless you're a Kardashian) I had to start with a few things in mind.

First - I needed to check the current weather conditions in southern California.  The average temperature this time of year is about 60 degrees during the day and it's a rainy time of the year.



Second - I needed to pick a "base color" of clothing and work several options of outfits around that color.  My choice was black.  I start by gathering my options on hangers in our guest room.


Here, I've added a chambray top, my favorite black batwing tunic, and patterned jeans.  A solid white T-shirt is always a good choice when packing as well. It goes with anything.


I then gathered a few more outfit ideas together, making sure that I could mix and match tops and bottoms.  I purchased a new pair of black leather Sketchers for the plane ride as well as for walking around  L.A.  I will pack my heels, black booties, and a pair of versatile black flats as well.


I'll switch between my small and large black purse, and will pack my toiletries in 2 Thirty-One bags that I've traveled with for years.

Once I had an idea about the outfits I began pulling jewelry.

Now, let me speak to jewelry... I have had a life-long love affair with jewelry.  It's one of the things that I always look at in a store, and I will find myself buying a piece of jewelry (fine as well as costume) before I even buy an article of clothing.

Think of jewelry as the bow on a present.  You can wear a very plain/neutral classic outfit and a good piece of jewelry can take it to the next level.  In fact, by changing the jewelry, you can wear that same outfit in many different ways.

Here's what I pulled from my collection.


I packed some turquoise, some sterling, some high-fashion, some specialty pieces, and some Apple Watchbands.  All of these options will dress up any combination of outfits that I put together from the selections that I am taking.

The turquoise will look especially great on the black or with my leopard print blouse.

Third - I needed to pull out a large suitcase and look it over.  


This suitcase has been on many trips, so I wanted to make sure that it was still good to go for another one.  If you don't take care of your luggage, it will not last very long.  

TIP:  Before you leave on ANY trip, check your luggage for the following:

1 - Make sure ALL the zippers are in good working order.  You don't want them to be broken or on the verge of breaking.  You can lose your packed items if this is the case.  While you're checking your zippers, it's a great time to put a bit of WD-40 on them and work the zippers all along the zipper teeth.  This will help to lubricate the zipper, making it work smoother and avoiding having a zipper break while on your trip.


2 - Clean the inside and outside of your luggage by wiping it down with a mild cleaner.  I used my Thieves spray which will also freshen the fabric both inside and out.  Stored luggage can take on some questionable smells when it's hanging out in an attic, basement, or even under your bed.  Refresh that fabric, wipe down that vinyl, and polish that hard outer shell.


3 - Check all the pockets and nooks and crannies for any previous left items.  I ended up finding this phone case from my daughter.  It's been in this suitcase for so long that she didn't even remember it!


4 - Lubricate the wheels and roll them around several times.  Nothing is worse than having to drag or carry a suitcase through an airport.  The wheels will make traveling so much easier but only if yours are in good working order.


5 - Make sure that your expanding handle is also in good working order.  Lubricate that as well and make sure that it telescopes up and down smoothly.  Again, the same as #4 above.


6 - Update your bag tag.  I made this one using my business card and some scrap paper and stickers.  You want your tag to be unique so that you can easily spot it when it comes onto the luggage carousel.  Adding a large ribbon, bright pompon, or unique luggage tag will help with this process.  Knot it firmly so that it stays in place.


One more thing about luggage; don't try to buy expensive pieces unless YOU ARE a Kardashian (which means you are flying private and there are no dirty holds or belts).  

TSA will be throwing your luggage onto dirty conveyor belts, dirty transport carts, dirty baggage belts going into the dirty plane belly, and then the process repeats itself when you land and finally retrieve your bag off of the dirty conveyor belt at the pickup area.

Your luggage will have had the bumpiest ride and met with lots of dirt and grease.  Hence the reason why this bag is not the "prettiest."  If you are buying luggage, try to avoid the light colors, no matter how beautiful they are.  You can get the smaller one and use that as your carryon - where you can control it's cleanliness somewhat, otherwise, go for colors that are darker like black, red, gray, purple, and forest green.  

Now it's time to start packing.


First, decide what you will be taking in your checked baggage and what you will be taking in your carry-on.  It's important to always check the TSA site for any updates to what you can take ON the actual plane and the limits on liquid amounts.  

TIP: It's always a good idea to pack a change of clothes and basic toiletries on your carry on JUST in case your luggage is delayed...

I always start by packing the more malleable stuff in the "back" of the suitcase where there are natural gullies from the telescoping handle.  Remember that this is really the back of the case.  The bottom is where the wheels are located, so make sure that you pack heavier objects like shoes at the bottom.  If they are packed nearer to the top they will settle during travel and cause added wrinkles to your clothing.  Gravity must be considered when packing people!


Some people prefer to roll, and I've done that as well, but this time I "boxed" my clothing.  This means that I folded them in box-like structures and laid them flat.  I also fit them in like a puzzle.

I don't mind ironing my clothes, and will often do that when I travel with a suitcase. Having a few wrinkles from folding instead of rolling will be fine with me.


I've got all my clothing packed and just need to add my toiletries bag and a few smaller items.

I've got plenty of room to close the case and it will be well within the weight required.  

My carryon bag is a Biaggi bag (the Zipsac 22) that I think is actually the greatest invention. (I also have the Zipcubes)  If I purchase things in California, I have room in my carryon.  I can easily transfer items between both bags, making sure that I follow TSA guidelines.

I'm now all ready to board my plane and head off to Cali.





In fact, by the time you read this post, I will be in L.A. enjoying the weather and my mini trip away with my daughter.  We will be celebrating our birthdays.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we will be breaking the rules!





















Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.