Tuesday, February 5, 2019

How I Use My Planners

 Yes, you read that right.  I have 2 planners.

Call me an over-achiever...

I need 2 planners.  It's how I plan and stay organized, and you will see exactly how I use them both in this post.

Let's get started.


I've mentioned my love of a disc-bound system in a previous post.

The versatility of being able to add and remove pages and items is key for me.  It also means that I can reuse/recycle the covers and dividers as needed, OR make my own - which I love to do.

I currently use 2 Happy Planner systems to organize my life.

The Mini Happy Planner is a 5 x 7.25, 7 disc system that's pre-printed as a planner.


I ordered this specific one from The Happy Planner, but Michaels carries them as well.


I love the smaller size because it fits into my purse.  I DO NOT keep this one as my cute/decorated/stickered planner.  This one is strictly for writing in my appointments and reminders when I am away from home.  I use a pencil and write like a 5-year-old in this one.

Now...

This one is my ride or die favorite!

This is actually a Deluxe Happy Memory Keeping Planner that I picked up on sale at Michaels, and can I just say...

I LOVE THIS PLANNER!!!

Here's why:

1 - It's meant as a "journaling/photo" saving planner that turns into a "scrapbook" of your year.

2 - It's totally blank inside, which means I can "design" it exactly how I want to.

3 - It has blank weekly layouts with verticle columns per day; perfect for list making

4 - Its rustic theme is so pretty.


So, here's how I manage all of this.


Every Saturday or Sunday, I sit down and coordinate both calendars.  I cross-reference the small one with the large one, using Post-it strips to mark new reminders and appointments.  Then, the smaller one goes back into my purse so I don't forget to take it with me.


I then look over the new dates and pull out my Dollar Tree organizer of blank labels.


This is perfect for holding the small colored stickers that I use to write reminders and stick into my large planner.


I write out my additions on these blank strips.

Next, I stick this into the large planner and add a coordinating sticker if I have one or it needs one.


I do this with all the new additions to my planner until I'm caught up.


Once the monthly calendar is complete I begin working on the week coming up.


I like to decorate the weeks a whole month in advance with stickers and washi tape.

I'll write in the dates across the top and use this part as a weekly reminder of appointments and commitments.


I use the part below the washi tape as my list of things to do.

Here, I've posted the MUST DO items that coordinate with the events happening during the week.

This helps me to stay on top of tasks that are specific to the week - things I don't want to fall short of doing.


Then, I make a list of things that I want to complete that week.


I typically write mini tasks on the left and larger tasks on the right.  I will review the previous weeks to see if something didn't get done or was pushed off because of time.  I will add those to this list as well.

This planner stays open on my desk, and I refer to it every day, several times a day if needed.

Planning this way allows me to focus on the tasks at hand and get them done.  It's actually very cathartic for me to decorate and use "pretty" things - it helps my brain stay on track and mentally remind me what needs to be done.

In the back of this planner, I have added additional blank notebook pages and made sections for projects and goals, including upcoming things like my 35th-year class reunion and blog post ideas.  Because of the disc system, I can add or remove as needed!

I also have several "tools" that help keep me organized when planning.


Washi-tape is a must.  I've collected many rolls over the years and use it for everything.

The Happy Planner Sticker Packs are so much fun and really have a variety of styles and uses in any planner.

The individual sticker packs are ones that I've picked up a The Dollar Tree or craft stores and are super great for using on your monthly or weekly spread.

The Dollar Tree organizer holds individual blank stickers that I use on both spreads.


Yes, I will gladly own up to my washi-tape obsession.  What can I say?  I use it for so much more than just my planners.


A great Ticonderoga pencil is a must (nothing's better than a Ticonderoga pencil) and these R-2 Precision, fine point pens?  The Dollar Tree of course!!!

Can I just say how amazing they are?  Superfine tip and writes like a dream.


I use a variety of markers that color coordinate my spreads. These have been collected over MANY MANY years, so don't freak out because I have so many.  I use them for crafting as well as other projects, and you can see that there are a variety of styles and types of marker.

Whatever way you plan - paper and pencil or digital, it must work for you.

This way works very well for me.

Plan however you want - break the rules!





Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.