Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Easy Pin Board Project

While we are on our "stay at home to protect the masses" hiatus, I've been really working on creating new content using what I already have on hand - since I cannot go to the Dollar Tree (insert real tears of sorrow here).

I had this framed sentiment and these "Jenga" pieces from the Dollar Tree, so I decided to create something with them.


This is a square frame with a deep reveal, making it like a shadow box, minus the glass.

The game can be found in the toy section, and I've done several other projects with them.




I popped the inside out.

It just had a few of those black metal clips holding it in place.

I then looked through my craft supplies and grabbed the rest of the things I would need.


The beads that I used on my necklace project, some cork adhesive squares, and some black cardstock.


I used my large tape runner to cover a good amount of the insert.


This is a heavy-duty tape, but you could use glue as well.

I stuck the black cardstock to the tape, smoothing it down as it went on.


Flipping it over, I used my razor tool to cut off the overlapping cardstock.

I set this aside.


Then I started playing around with different configurations - working until I was satisfied with the different wooden pieces covering the frame.

I wanted to go with a natural, Scandinavian feel, so I left all the wood untouched.


I used my favorite Gorilla Wood Glue and started placing the large beads in each corner.

I made sure to place them so that they were flush with the outside edges.


Next, I added on the smaller beads.

Again, making sure they were flush on the edges.

I gave these items about 15 minutes to set up so that they wouldn't move as I started placing my long wood pieces.


Using the glue, I ran a strip of it down one side and placed the game pieces.

I made sure that they were even with the smaller beads which set them just slightly over the edges of the frame.


I repeated that on the other three sides.


After about 30 minutes of drying time, I came back and positioned the insert, cardstock facing up, into the frame.


I made sure to fold down the black metal clips, flopping the piece over so that the wall hook was at the top.


I took one of the small squares of adhesive cork and placed it up near the top center of the frame.

I eye-balled it, but you could measure if you wanted to.


I grabbed a cut black push pin to finish the project and it was done!


I hung it up and added an inspirational quote from Dolly.

You can find quotes like this on the internet, or you can pin up a picture, note, menu; really whatever you want.

Now I'm scouring my craft stash to create some other great, easy, affordable projects!

Stay safe and healthy.

Mind the CDC rules - those are ones you definitely DON'T want to break!



Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.