Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Lessons Learned During a Pandemic

We are all, hopefully, heeding the warnings and cautions occurring in our nation right now.

I realize that many Americans are working; they're considered essential and must report to work on the daily.

I am retired. I don't report to work.  I haven't since June of 2018.

I consider myself so blessed to be in this position, especially since it allows both hubby (also retired) and I to do our part in the measures we are all undertaking.

But, while I typically "stay home" each and every day, don't for a minute think that this pandemic has not affected us.

It has.

But, I'm a glass-half-full kind of gal and here's how I am choosing to look at our current lives.

1 - We are saving more money.

Photo Credit: Pixabay

Hubby and I had actually looked over our budget during the beginning of the year in search of ways we could cut our budget in order to gear up for our downsizing move and improve our credit score.

We ate out A LOT.  I didn't think we did until I did the math and was SHOCKED!

I also spent needless dollars at various stores on needless things that did not enhance the value of my life in any way other than material.

While I realize that our contribution to the economy did help in its small way, we were on the road to spending less, which means we can help out more through donations that we are passionate about.

2 - Our food quality has improved.

Photo Credit:  Ella Olsson

Now, don't get me wrong, there was nothing "bad" about the food we ate when we choose to eat out.

BUT...

When you cook at home you tend to eat less (portions typically are smaller) and you eat leftovers more readily than not.

We threw away too much food each month because we didn't consider ourselves "leftover eaters."

Now, we are cooking with intention, using the fresh ingredients that are more readily available when ordering groceries online.

We are trying new recipes, sometimes making 4 servings that will create two meals instead of one.

I've lost weight, but have not been starving myself or dieting by any measure.

3 - We are taking 2 daily walks each day, weather permitting.

Photo Credit:  Daniel Reche

Getting out into the sunshine and walking is a proven way to improve your mental health as well as the physical benefits that are part and parcel with exercise in general.

Hubby, Dixiee (our beagle), and I walk the neighborhood two times every day: morning and afternoon.

We live in a rather small neighborhood, but our walks are just a bit over a mile and a quarter, so we're getting in a 2.5-mile walk in total each day.

Hubby and I are having great conversations about anything and everything under the sun.

We're able to say hello to our neighbors, making sure we are keeping our distance.

Plus, it's been great getting some Vitamin D from the sun as well.

4 - I've taken a break from make-up.

Photo Credit:  Freestocks.org

It has been "freeing" to NOT have to worry about doing my make-up every day.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE LOVE LOVE make-up and enjoy playing with it and putting it on.

But, I'm also loving having to NOT put it on because I'm not going anywhere or doing anything other than staying at home.

My face has had a chance to breathe.

Of course, I'm still caring for my skin and making sure to have sunscreen when we are outside, but other than that it's been as naked as a jaybird!

5 - I've found a daily routine that's easy and mindful.

Photo Credit:  Burst

Even though you would think that this "staying home" thing would not really change or affect us because we are retired, think again.

There is a hidden weight over even those of us who are retired during this time.

We too have to stay home, meaning we cannot frequent friends, relatives, local restaurants, or any unnecessary places that we've gone to in the past.

In fact, it feels like we're "being bad" when we get into the car to even pick up groceries.

We are very much aware of what's going on and how it's affecting our daily lives.

We chose to cancel a trip out west to meet with our builder and explore our new city more.

It also impacted our visit with our daughter in California.

I can no longer go on my week-long vacation with the ladies in my family.

And, while I do have a trip planned for early May to go to California with my mom, that is still very much up in the air at this point.

BUT...

Instead of lamenting on those things, I've chosen to create and stick to a daily routine which involves yoga, walking, daily tasks, meditation, and reading.

The "sameness" of each day helps me to cope in my own way and be thankful that we are healthy and happy.

Our greatest wish and prayer is that you too are healthy and happy.



















Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.