Saturday, February 8, 2020

Tassel Necklace Reimagined

I don't know if you're like me...

Tons of Pinterest Boards with millions of pinned images ranging from projects to home decor and everything in between.

Monthly, I make myself go through those boards and clean them up.

I remove the pins that no longer interest me, OR I make a note to actually "do" what I pinned when it comes to a craft project.

Today's post is one of those pins.

I had pinned an outfit here that I loved, but what especially drew me in was the amazing tassel necklace!

I knew that I could use it as inspiration to create something similar for a little bit of money.

So off I went to Amazon to order my supplies.


I first needed a long multi-colored tassel.


Then I grabbed a collection of wood beads.   There are literally hundreds of bead options on Amazon, but here is one I would recommend.


I already had this stretch cording, but you can also find it on Amazon here.

Now, with a pair of scissors, another necklace for comparison length, some super glue, and a bit of time, you can create your own tassel necklace.


The first thing I did was to remove the keychain apparatus.  I'll admit, this was "hard" to cut through, but I kept squeezing the cutters over and over again until it snapped through the metal.

Remember, I really only wanted the big tassel.


Next, I pulled off around 8 feet of cording...yes, it was 8 feet, and then doubled it over on itself.

I wanted to add security to this necklace and in the case that one of the strings broke while I was wearing it, the other one would keep beads from flying all over the place.

I put the folded end through the tassel loop, tied and knot, then looped both ends through a medium-sized bead.

I went in from both sides so that they came out on the opposite side.


I laid that aside and using a necklace for length, laid out a pattern of matching beads from bottom to top until I had something that I liked.


I fussed and fidgeted with this layout several different times.

One important thing to note is that as you get closer to your neckline, start using the smaller beads.

You want the necklace to lay COMFORTABLY against your neck.

Large beads can be a pain, especially if you put on a jacket causing the large beads to push into your skin.


Once I was satisfied with my layout I just started beading.


I pulled each bead through the correct side, alternating sides as I worked to keep it symmetrical.


I made sure to look at my beads prior to stringing.

Some beads will not have a well-finished opening making it very hard to string.

You can use an awl to work open the hole or just exchange it for another bead.


This opening is perfect and makes it so much easier to string.


Once I got to the last beads, I tied the four strands (2 on each side) into several simple knots.

I pulled them tight, allowing them to stretch a bit.


I dropped a bit of Dollar Tree superglue onto the knot to secure it then cut off the tails as close as possible without disrupting the knot.


The knot was sandwiched between two of the smaller beads.


With just a gentle pull, the knot slipped into one of the beads and was hidden and secure.

And my version of the Pinterest necklace was complete!


It has become a favorite of mine and I still have plenty of wooden beads and string to make another one, or two, or three.

I just need to go on over to Amazon and grab a few more tassels.


The necklace wears so well and I always get compliments when I have it on.

This is a project that anyone can do with any sized tassel and beads, you just have to hop on over to Amazon or go to your favorite craft store and get the supplies.

Happy Crafting!








Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.