Saturday, February 1, 2020

"Spice-y" Organization

Not too long ago, I did a clean sweep of all the spices in my spice cabinet.

I checked expirations and doubled up on duplicates.

I filled all our salts and peppers.

Then I put them all back and went on my merry way.

Here's the result...


I lived with this topsy-turvy, large and small container "mess" for a few months until I couldn't stand it anymore.


The different sized jars would fall over into the slats of the cabinet pull out.

The smaller containers got lost among the bigger oversized ones.

I'd had enough.

So...

I searched on Amazon and found the perfect solution.


I purchased this Aozita 24 Piece Spice Set and got down to work.

This set was only $24.99!

What I love the most about this set of 24 jars were the preprinted top and side labels.  It was ready to go the minute I opened the box.


One of the first things I noticed was the Organic Great Value brand used the EXACT same jars!

Perfect!  I only had to find the top label and add it to the jar.

This saved me time and added an "extra" jar to use.


There are MANY sheets of pre-printed labels, many with spices I've never even heard of before.

It also includes blank labels and a white chalk marker in the event that you create your own spice mix or that particular spice name isn't included.


I just peeled the sticker off and placed it on the lid and it was done!


With the other spices, I simply opened them and funneled them into individual jars.


Before I poured them out though, I made sure to use a wooden skewer to loosen any spice in it's existing jar.

This helped with the transfer of spice between containers.

I also learned quickly that cleaning and trying to dry the funnel in between spices was a pain, so I just used my left hand to create a funnel and that worked just as well.


Each jar comes with its own sifter and shaker.


I also made sure to write the expiration dates on the bottom of the glass with a Sharpie marker.  You could also use the chalk marker that came with the set as well.

Once I transferred all the spice...

I had this beautiful result!!!


These jars fit PERFECTLY in this pull-out.

They don't fall over or through the wire bottom.

They don't rattle or tip over on each other.

They give me room to grow - which the other configuration did not.

I LOVE THEM!!!


Here's what was left of the change-over and after being rinsed clean, they all went into the recycle bin.


The bottom shelves hold my over-flow spices, large pepper and salt refill jars, and my super-sized jar or cinnamon.

Ahhh...

Spice Land is organized and looking great!

I know that this may seem like a silly thing to do, but in the end, with the amount of cooking that I do and the number of spices that I use, having them consistent has made it so much easier to grab what I need quickly and efficiently.

They are much easier to see in the pull-out and the act of reorganizing my spices allowed me to make a list of the ones that I needed to purchase and add to my stash.

It's really the little things Rule Breakers!



Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.