Tuesday, April 16, 2019

"Springing Up" the Front Porch

I have started the process of creating an inviting entry for the spring season.

My front porch is not overly large, but with two entry doors, it can be difficult to decorate - especially because wreaths must come in pairs, and I like the floor area to be full and lush.

I've not totally finished it yet, but I wanted to share two features that I've DIYed so far.

Of course, my first stop was the Dollar Tree for a few seasonal supplies.


While I did not use all of these supplies, I did use several of the glittered eggs, a bag of the reindeer moss,  and two of the bright pink butterflies.


While on vacation in Williamsburg, VA, I was fortunate to find two mossy bunnies at only $12.99 a piece.  


I considered this a good price.  These bunnies are rather substantial in size.  They are very firmly made with a heavy gauged wire and wooden vines, covered with a faux mossy texture.  The raffia bow was already attached while the bunny body was a half-sized basket of sorts.

I knew that my Dollar Tree supplies would work perfectly.


I set up one bunny at a time on a large easel.  This allowed me to use moss and glitter eggs right in the half basket.  I simply used hot glue to position both moss and eggs.


I added a butterfly to the one ear with hot glue.


I also added a large paperclip to the back (hot glued) as a hangar.  I didn't want to hang my bunnies by one of their ears or they would have been lopsided.


Before I finished, I turned the bunny over to make sure that there were not any "holes" or areas that needed an extra bit of moss or an additional egg.


In about 15 minutes, I had one bunny totally done and ready.


Hanging on the front door, it looks adorable.  In fact, they both look adorable for the Easter season and into the spring months.

But, I wasn't done yet.

On to project number two.

I have two large metal chairs that flank our double doors.  I like to change the pillow covers on these chairs for the season.  I was looking to carve out some time to hit my favorite fabric store when a thought occurred to me...

I had something that just might work without having to spend a dime.


On a previous trip to the fabric store, I picked up several sets of fabric samples.  You know what I mean... the 4 or 5 colorway prints that fabric manufacturers send for custom ordering. 

My fabric store sells them for $1 or $2 dollars for the rather large swatch of fabric. 

These are great for sewing bread basket cloths, colorful napkins, lining baskets for gifts, small sewing projects... the ideas are endless.

I knew I could sew one strip to the other and have enough to cover my two pillows.


So that's what I did.  I seemed them across, with the idea that the smaller print fabric will be the skinner top part of the front, while the more colorful fabric will be the larger bottom portion.


For an added bit of detail, I created a topper seam across the front of the two sewn fabrics.  This helps to make it feel more finished.


I then used the pillow to fit the cover.  I used my "envelope" method just like I showed you in my Making Easy Pillow Covers post. 


Once I sewed each of the side seams, I tucked in the pillow.


It looks great against the dark metal chairs (which need to be refreshed with Rustoleum's Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint).

So, two DIY projects are done!

As soon as I finish the front porch, I will do a post about all the different elements and share the finial results.

Happy Spring...finally!




Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.