Saturday, May 25, 2019

Transforming Tree Cookies

No, this is not a post about eating...

Although, the term "Tree Cookies" may be deceiving.

Tree cookies are actually horizontal slices of branches that form a "cookie" of the tree if you will.  It allows you to see the rings of the tree, but it also allows for some very fun and unique opportunities for decorating.

Let me show you...

We had a large hickory tree removed from the side yard about 6 months ago.  I asked the tree removal service to cut me three cookies from one of the large branches.  I stored these in the garage for those months so that they would dry out and "cure" prior to doing the three projects I had in mind.

This is important when you first take your cookie cuts.  They MUST have time to dry out AND allow any critters living in the tree to vacate.  You don't want to introduce them into your home!


I started with the first large cookie, placing it on a stool so that it was workable height.  (I know it looks good on that stool as well and would make a cool table...hmmm.)

Notice how the cookie split while drying.  This is one of the reasons that you let it dry.  IF I had already done one of my projects, this would have definitely affected the outcome.

But now, I am going to incorporate that split as part of the character!


Here's a great side view of the cookie.  It's pretty thick, like between 4 and 5 inches thick, which is perfect for this first idea.


I ordered 4-inch metal hairpin legs from Amazon, which are a great retro touch that's super "IN" with decor right now.  

My goal was to make a "stool" or plant stand for the back deck.  In fact, all of these projects were for the back deck.


I simply placed the legs where I wanted them to go, working around the split, and then used my DeWalt drill to screw them in place.

Easy Peasy!


I was left with this super cute mini stand.

It wasn't perfectly level, but that will not make a difference for its use.


I love the retro-rustic feel of this and the powder coated metal legs and tree cookie will be able to stand the elements.

Next, I took the second cookies and added multi-directional, rubber casters to the bottom.

These wheels were purchased at Lowes, but you can find them anywhere.  Be sure to get ones that are screwed into the wood with a drill and NOT the ones that have a threaded post - that's a totally different application!


I used some basic wood screws that I had on hand and placed one in each of the FOUR holes on each wheel.




I had a small split in this cookie as well and just used the wheel to "bridge" it.


Now, I have a rolling plant stand for my super large tree that lives on our deck.  The multi-directional casters allow me to move it for easy cleaning behind it (it's very hard to lug around if not on wheels) and to let it take advantage of additional sunlight if needed.



Check out how easy it is to move with just my foot!

With my last cookie, I had a very specific place in mind and an idea that would make this project just as cute as the other ones.


I had purchased these two lucite and brass drawer knobs from Hobby Lobby during a time when the knobs were 50% off... so I got both of them for the price of one.


I matched the screw width with a drill bit width and drilled hole opposite each other on the last cookie.

And yep...you guessed it!

I made a display tray!


Now, a display tray and a serving tray are totally different things in my mind.

Using trays to serve (and you can have some that do double duty) you must keep in mind that they need to be level and fairly lightweight otherwise you are going to have your hands full once you add the weight of whatever you are serving to the top.

Using a tray as simply a piece of decor gives you multiple options in terms of materials, weight, strength, and look.  This cookie wasn't level, but boy do those cut grooves add texture and organic touch.

Perfect for the out of doors!

Here are all three projects in their element...





I know we are going to enjoy them all through the summer months and into the fall.

I like to think out of the box and break those rules when it comes to creating and decorating.





Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.