Saturday, December 22, 2018

Setting Goals with Grace - Part 2!

Welcome back to part 2 of goal setting.

If you didn't read part 1, check it out here because it's a great segway into this post.

Let's get started...

I am a consummate list maker.

In fact, I make lists for everything and enjoy checking them off.  It keeps me organized and sane, especially when I have a lot to do.

My list this past week in my calendar.
But, setting goals is not the same as making a list.

Goals are the stepping stones to big dreams.  They require more than making and checking things off of a to-do list.  They require thought, effort, challenge, and perseverance.

Lists are tasks that you can easily perform and complete.

Where most people "fail" when setting goals and dreaming big is in their effort to define and set meaningful, achievable goals.

Credit

While teaching school, and ultimately working with teachers, setting SMART goals was something that I did personally and professionally.

Credit

I know it may at first seem (or feel) silly to set goals this way, but it's really a "brain" thing.

Let me explain...

Your brain is the most complex organ in your body.  It CRAVES structure and clarity.  It looks for patterns and meaning when trying to understand or comprehend situations or subjects.  It likes things that have meaning and value to you in particular.

Setting goals using the SMART structure satisfies your brain in those things I just mentioned.

So, now...

Think about a time when you've set goals in the past.  

Now ask yourself why you didn't achieve them?

If you look at the graphic above, you can probably safely admit that they were probably lacking in one if not more of the 5 areas and each area is important, no matter if you do find them silly.

Let's use one of my goals as an example:

GENERAL GOAL:  to exercise with my yoga tapes.

Sounds simple...right?

But now...what does this goal really mean?

Pixabay.com

Let's make it a SMART GOAL!

SPECIFIC = I will improve my fitness level (Big Dream here) through yoga

MEASURABLE = Improving the yoga poses with ease

ATTAINABLE = I will work out with my yoga tapes each day, varying the 
yoga sessions and times; no less than 20 minutes each day

RELEVANT = Yoga is a great way to improve my strength and flexibility
which are my real needs.

TIME BOUND = In 3 months I will have improved both strength and flexibility, 
reaching longer and working easier through the poses.

FORMULATED STATEMENT
By the end of March 2019, I will have improved my yoga poses as well as my 
fitness level (strength and flexibility) through daily 20 minutes
or more yoga sessions.

Credit

Here are a few things to notice about my goal:

1.  I used "I will" statements instead of "I want."  So IMPORTANT!!!

2.  The specificity of each of the areas help me to refine, then define what my needs are.  This helps me to frame it in my brain and really make it an achievable, realistic goal for me.

3.  It's framed in a POSITIVE light.  It's a plan of action.

The next IMPORTANT thing to do is to WRITE IT DOWN!


Write it down and READ IT EVERY DAY!  This will motivate you.  I'm writing mine on large Dollar Tree foam board and placing it in the area where I will be doing my yoga tapes. (Our basement)

Credit

Visual cues like this are a great way to focus the brain and help you stay on track with your goals.

In fact, research has shown that highly effective people write down their goals and follow them daily until they're achieved.  Then they start again.

Here's where you can really make a long-term goal FUN FOR YOU!

REWARD YOURSELF!

Credit

Decide when and where you would like to reward yourself through the journey of your goal.

It may be at a midway mark.  I'm looking at a 2-week mark, giving me opportunities to reward myself around 6 times during the goal setting time frame.

Why reward yourself?

BECAUSE YOU ARE ACHIEVING YOUR GOALS!

See, the goal is not achieved at the end, but really through the process.  You have made a commitment to yourself and you are following through.  That should be celebrated.

Rewards can really be anything that YOU like.

I'm thinking I'm going to reward myself with little items for my crafting endeavors.  I'm still deciding, and it may change as I go through the process as I see some things that I'd like.


So, before I wind down this post, let me give you a few words of caution.

Credit

Really think about your goal and a realistic timetable.  I'm giving myself 3 months initially.  

This doesn't mean that I'm stopping after 3 months.  I will reevaluate at that point and figure out where I need to tweak my goal.  It could be the "everyday" thing, or it could be adding additional challenges.  I don't know yet and that's okay!

Stick to a FEW goals.  It's not realistic at all to set more than 1, 2, or even 3 goals at one time.  

If you set more than 3, you're setting yourself up for failure.

I recommend that you start with one.  I'm sure there are other things that you want to do but work on really challenging yourself with one at first.  Work through the "kinks" and find your groove.  Then add a second or maybe a third goal.

REMEMBER to give yourself GRACE if you struggle, forget or miss something, or get off track from your goal.  

IT'S OKAY... I REPEAT, IT'S OKAY!!!

Get back on that "horse" as soon as you can, OR redo your goal to meet the change.

You are in charge of your own goal.  The only person you are accountable to is you.

Now, go out and make a goal or 2.

Break your own rules!


PS:  Next Tuesday, the day I usually post again, will be Christmas.  I will not be posting on that day.
I will however be posting next Saturday!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Credit





Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.