Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Sneak Peak Lantern Build

I'm currently working on my Christmas front porch decor, and while perusing Pinterest (of course), I found these DIY lanterns.

Credit Here

I knew they were an easy build, especially with the project board aisle at Lowes, so I added them to the mix of projects for our front porch theme.

Then it was off to Lowes.

I picked up 5 of these 1x2x4(foot) pine boards for the tall sides of the build.


And I also grabbed 1 of these 1x8x4(foot) pine boards for my base and top.

Pine is a soft wood, so it's easy to cut and work with when making something like this.


Now keep in mind, you do not need an electric saw for this project.  There are two ways to do this without one.

1 - Lowes will cut any wood that you need for a small price (much much less then buying a power tool) BUT, you must have the exact measurements you need when you go to buy your wood.

I've had Lowes cut large plywood for me because I do not have a way to cut that at home.

2 - You can invest in a hack saw with a sharp blade and cut pine wood at home yourself.  Of course this requires some clamps and a lot of elbow grease, but it can be done.


I started by measuring and cutting my side support using my compound mitre saw.

You can decide how tall you want your lanterns to be based on your needs and the amount of wood you have.  The smaller lantern sides are 18 inches, and the larger lantern sides are 24 inches. (This is not the finished height as the feet, base, top, and toppers add another 5 inches in total to both lanterns.)



I use a square to make sure that my line for cutting is a straight as possible.  Since these lanterns are "rustic" in nature, I wasn't going to stress over an exact fit when assembling them, but it does make it easier.


Next, I used a 220 grit sanding block to knock off any wood splinters from the cutting process.

Again, I am painting these, so I wasn't concerned with have the smoothest edges possible.


Of course, I used my favorite Gorilla Wood Glue and my electric brad nailer to complete the job.

If I had to recommend a tool to purchase if you like building projects, aside from the OBVIOUS drill purchase (which EVERYONE should have), an electric nailer is a must.  This was gifted to me by my handyman neighbor across the street and it's been a favorite of mine ever since.  Thanks Steve!


It's easy to load with 1inch brad nails, and I use it for every home decor build I've ever done that's required some nailing.


I started by adding wood glue to the end of the tall support and then used the nailer to add 2-3 brads for security.

You may want to have someone help you to steady those first  few supports.  I just used another support to hold it temporarily.


One important aspect to remember is if your supports are not an exact square, you will need to make sure they go in the right direction.

Here, I have the shorter 1 inch side facing the sides, while the 2 inch side will be facing the front.


Once you get the top (or bottom) on, it will look like a little table.  Flip it over and add the opposite side.


With the left over wood from the support pieces, I added two "feet" on the bottom so that they would show in the front.  This will also accommodate my cord for the light.

Again, I used a generous amount of glue (which will be easily covered with my spray paint) and 3 brad nails.


For the top, I altered the design from the original Pinterest photo and just cut and nailed descending squares.

The top and base are both 8x8", the next one is 6x6", and the very top is 3x3".


Glue then nail.


I measured the bottom spaces and added these short pieces just using Gorilla glue.  I didn't care if they fit precisely, as the spray paint will camouflage most of that, and it really isn't a precise build as much as an aesthetic build.



Here are my two lanterns, ready for paint.

At this point, I had one idea for adding glass cylinders with flameless candles inside, which would have worked.

But, I didn't want to have to remember to turn them on every night.

Then I thought about adding a hole in the bottom to hold a solar path light, but I wasn't too excited about that idea either.

So, I came up with another really cool plan, but I'm holding out on that reveal until I show you the whole front porch completed.

If you use them inside or outside, I would not recommend a real candle in the event that the heat from the flame catches the top underside on fire.  Yikes!  I think a flameless electric candle will look great; plus it's safer for your home as well as you!

These lanterns could work both inside and outside, at any heights you wanted, and be finished however you choose.  A rustic stain, a shiny paint, or even a metallic finish would work.

I'm choosing to paint them black this year, but could respray them white next year.  I like the flexibility that paint offers me.

I hope this inspires you to create something for your home or front porch.  It really is easy with a little time, effort, and Pinterest perusing!

Merry Christmas!!!







Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.