Saturday, January 18, 2020

Dollar Tree Finds: Part 1

If you have followed this blog, even for a bit, you will know what a FAN I am of Dollar Tree.

Yes, THAT Dollar Tree.

It's not because I need to watch my pennies, although, in this day and age who doesn't, it's truly because there are literally TONS of great buys to be found there.

When I blog or speak about DT, invariably, I get asked "How do you find such great things there?  I can never find anything."

Well...

Let me show you what I recommend you buy.
(This is a 2 parter because the 60+ pictures I took would make for a LONG single blog post.)

Let's get shopping!

CARD AISLE


The DT has some great greeting cards that are made by Dayspring/Hallmark.

Yes...the same Hallmark where the cards in other stores run upwards of $7.00

The cards come in two option:
$1 for 2 (flat fronts, no bling)
$1 for 1 (bling, texture added)


They are ALWAYS pre-stocked for the next holiday as well and have a variety of specific cards for specific people:  think God Daughter, Babysitter, etc...

The categories are also clearly marked - just like the other stores.


Another great buy is the Thank You card packets.

You can choose a variety of styles, including ones that are great for personal use.

Although I craft my own greeting cards, I always have a set of these on hand just in case.

Tip:  When a friend or family member has lost a loved one I drop by the DT and pick up a few packets of Thank You cards with appropriate graphics and sentiments.  I gift these to the family.  I know that funeral homes give cards for free but they tend to be generic and not very pretty or elegant.


Their selection of blank notecards is great as well.

These too can be used as Thank You cards if you like.

GIFT WRAPPING AISLE


Just like the card aisle, the wrapping aisle is a wonder.

Literally tons of paper, bow, bags, boxes, tissue, shred, and tools to pick from.

The paper is separated into categories and there is enough on each roll to wrap about 3-5 regular sized gifts.  In my opinion, because there is a bit less paper per roll, you can easily use it up and not have baby paper for the next 17 years!


This is also a great place to find clear treat bags.

Now, you don't have to have a toddler to use a treat bag.  These bags are perfect for gift giving to adults as well.  Treat it just like you would any other bag.  Fill it with shred and nestle their item inside.  Tie and add a curly ribbon bow.


Always check out the gift bag aisle.  I have found some of the cutest and even elegant gift bags that I have ever seen.

Here's where you can also find the bags of colored shred.  These are great for placing in the bottom of gift baskets.


Also, look for the pairs of plain colored gift bags here as well.

Tip:  Use these bags as centerpieces for a party table.  Grab your color choice of bags.  Open it up and place something heavy inside the bottom like a drinking glass or rocks.  Fill with tissue paper to resemble a gift.  Add a coordinating bow to the side.  Blow up 3 balloons with helium and tie on the handles.  Place some shred around the base of the bag in a coordinating color.  Very affordable and full centerpiece!


The bows are some of my favorite things to get at the DT.

Most of them come in a pair - either the same or a coordinating set like this purple combo above.

The curly ribbon and matching bow can really make a gift look great.


This mint-green bow looks like a sea creature and would look great on a baby gift package or bag.


I love, love, love this hot pink and holographic silver bow.  Very girly and fun!


Of course, don't forget to get the tissue paper.  These come in packs of 35 for white or 24 for colored sets.  

You can see that the colored options are in different tones.

There are even printed patterned options if you dig a bit through the packets.  Add these to the centerpiece idea I offered above and you have an upscaled table decor option.


In the packets of paired tissue, you can find 5 sheets, perfect for use in 1 gift.  This can keep your wrapping stash to a minimum as well as offer you some different options for detailed tissue paper.


Of course, one of my favs is the shrink wrap and bow packets.

And yes, these are just as good as the much more expensive options found at other stores.  

All you need is a hairdryer to warm and shrink the plastic.

PARTY TABLE SUPPLIES


I would be remiss if I didn't show you all the options for party supplies as well.

Their elegant wedding options are amazing; of equal value and structure when compared to high-end options.  I know, I've compared them side by side before.

There are a ton of plates, bowls, platters, and of course utensils to choose from.


If you regularly take dishes to pot-luck gatherings, consider grabbing a few of their serving pieces.  This way, IF they "disappear" you're not out of luck.

They are great if you are entertaining at home and need additional serving pieces for your own platters.  I hand-wash my pieces and use them over and over again.  They still look as great as the day I bought them.

Look to the left of this pair and see the salad tongs there?  They are amazing too. 


There are a ton of colored options, in both paper and plastic down these aisles.

Having a "team" party, grab their colors and mix them together for a coordinating look.

Were hosting an Adult Winter Olympics party (playing "Minute to Win It" games), so I've coordinated my serving dishes in the 5 Olympic ring colors: Blue, Yellow, Black, Green, and Red.



Don't overlook the printed party supplies as well.  You can mix and match these with the solid options available.

OFFICE SUPPLIES


I could dedicate a whole blog post to the office supplies, but I wanted to share what I buy most often.

First and foremost, check out all their pen options.

Many are equal to popular, more expensive brands on the market - think Gel Pens and Bic.  Check out the descriptions for the pens to get the right nib width and ink options that appeal to you.


I love wrapping and crafting with brown Kraft Paper.  There are always rolls to be found at the DT.


A recent find was these tassel and pompon paperclips.  These sell for a whole lot in the craft stores and on-line in stationary and planner suppliers.  

VASES


I highly recommend using the glass vase options from the DT.

If you are making candles or flower arrangements or using them in a different way, you can't go wrong with the quality of the glass or the options.


The tall cylindrical ones are great for all types of craft projects as well.

I used them to make the centerpieces for my mother-in-law's memory trees.

They are also great for candles - which you can get in either burn or electric form at DT!


The other options of glass vases have many other applications as well.

The carafe style are great for water beside your bed, different teas for serving at a party, or flowers.

The shorter options can be used for pen and pencil cups, treat bowls, ice-cream sundae bowls or terrarium planters.


Make sure to check out all the vase filler options as well.

The glass pebbles can usually be found in clear, green, red, blue, or combo colors.  These look great in vases and act as a flower "frog" to hold the stems.

There is also a stone option and pebble option along with a shell option.  The shells are great for gluing to a DT mirror or picture frame for a sea-inspired theme.


Lately, I've found small bags of colored sand, meant for weddings, but just as useful to elevate candles inside these glass vases.  

I pick up the black often, but you can find white, red, and green as well.

CRAFT GO TOS


One of my favorite DT must-haves are the mini picture frames meant for wedding and party tables, but I use them for basket and jar labels.

I used them in my laundry room reveal to label small DT jars holding different laundry supplies.

Remove the inserts, add your own and use hot glue to glue them to the sides of your jar or basket.  I also have several of them in my pantry.


I never leave DT without checking out their ribbon offerings.

This last time I found faux leather ribbon in beautiful colors, perfect for card making and crafting.


Then, I found the GLITTER RIBBON and heard a choir of angels sing the Hallelujah Chorus.  I was over the moon when I discovered that it was also SELF-ADHESIVE STICKY BACKED.

I came home and immediately used it to make a few cards...

I'm going to end this post here, because, you know, glitter has all the feels and it makes me happy and it's the perfect ending to this first part.

Next Saturday I've got a whole slew of photos to share with other items that I get at DT and think you should try as well.

Happy Saturday...break those buying rules!



Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.