Saturday, November 9, 2019

Another Easy Fall DIY

It's that time of year when many of us decorate for the fall and Christmas season!

Today, I've got another easy DIY decor item that you can make for all your seasonal decor.

Let's jump right in.

You will need the following:


Some old jars.  I used clear Ball, BH&G, and an old Ragu jar I had cleaned out for the recycle.  I rescued it just in time.

You will also need some belts and your hot glue gun.


I recently scored all these belts from my local Teen Challenge Thrift Store.  

I grabbed this woven, rope-like one.

I also grabbed a faux leather and faux suede one as well.


I cut off the end of this belt, although I could have kept it attached.  It was just my personal choice.


Using the Ball jar, I wrapped the belt around the top portion of the jar, covering the threaded lip.


I cut the belt a little longer than needed.  

You will see why in a bit.


Next, I created a "loop" over the top of the jar, deciding exactly how long I wanted for a handle.

See where this is going yet?


Once my glue gun was ready I ran a bead along the threaded edge of the jar as wide as the woven belt.

I repeated this on the opposite side of the jar as well.


Next, I took my original piece and wrapped it around and over the glued on handles.

This is why you want to cut this piece a bit longer.  See how I have less overlap here?  That's because of the handles taking up some of the room on the lip area.


I placed a dollop of glue and attached the one side, wrapping the piece around and back to meet up.


And Voila!  I created a great votive holder, or candy holder, or whatever kind of holder you want.!


I repeated this same process with the faux suede belt and the small BH&G jar.


This time I incorporated the belt buckle in the front.


I added a bit of glue to the back to steady the belt.


Isn't it darling?


To make holes in the belt for the buckle prong to work I used this Crop-o-dile.  

However, you can use an awl, a drill with a small bit, or a sharp pointy knife.  Just be careful when making your hole.

In a few minutes of crafting time you will have this:


Now, you have some options for staging these around your home.

You can put either real or electric votives inside.  I recommend electric because a flaming candle could possibly catch the handle on fire!

You can place the candle on the bottom as is, or add sand (colored), rocks, glass pebbles, beans, rice, etc.

I choose to add split peas and my battery-operated votives from the Dollar Tree.


I've used these split peas for three years now.  They are cheap in the bean aisle at the grocery store.


Pair them together and you've got a great table display.


I love how they look from above.


The large Ragu jar looks sweet in my kitchen on the island next to my Christmas Cactus.  

You can see I used some rocks from the Dollar Tree in this one.

This is a fun project to do with kids and would make great gifts for teachers, coaches, community leaders, or family.

It won't break the bank and I'm sure there are no rules about this one!



Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.