Tuesday, April 2, 2019

The Easy Guide to Creating Your Own Thieves Cleaners

Cleaning is something many of us do not like to do.

I like to organize and don't mind the occasional cleaning that comes with that...

But to actually have to clean for cleaning sake?  Yep, not a fan.

I don't know about you, but I also have an aversion to caustic cleaner smells (bleach) and I never liked the chemical exposure that comes with using "deep cleaning" products.

When Thieves Household Cleaner entered my life I knew it was the winner.



Made by Young Living, this Essential-Oil Infused, Ultra-Concentrated liquid "gold" in a bottle is so versatile!

It contains clove oil, lemon oil, cinnamon oil, rosemary oil, and eucalyptus oil.

Per ounce, Thieves cleaner is the most cost effect cleaner when compared to the top brands.

But what makes it great in my book is the fact that it's non-toxic to the humans and the pup living in our house.  I can spray down our counters and not worry about the transfer of chemicals onto our food or kitchen tools.

I can make my own mixtures, using the essential oils that I love, and literally create a specific cleaner for every need in my house.

One 14.4 fl oz bottle costs members $22.50.  

Now don't freak out...yes, I realize that that is much more than what you're probably buying, but hear me out.


This stuff is ULTRA-CONCENTRATED.

You MUST DILUTE IT WITH YOUR OWN WATER.

See, with the other stuff you're paying for their water already in the solution, and you don't dilute.

When you use a capful of this concentrate in you homemade cleaning solutions, the cost is 5 cents per oz.

Thank You!

Now, here's how I use it.


I have 3 basic bottles of individualized cleaners.

The bottles can be found here on Amazon, and the vinyl labels can be found through many vendors in Etsy.

I recommend glass bottles because there are citrus oils in Thieves and citrus oils will etch plastic.  It's not necessary, but it's a good practice.  Plus the glass bottles come in clear as well as colors and it just looks so darn cute with the vinyl labels.  Cleaning has to be fun, right?

Here are the recipes I use for each of my main "GO TO" cleaners:

Wood Cleaner = 1 capful of cleaner, 5 drops of YL Lemon EO, 1/4 C Olive Oil, 1/4 C Warm Water.  I mix this up and use to clean my wood furniture.  It will not build up on the wood and it moisturizes as well as cleans at the same time.  I use a soft cloth to wipe and buff. (You can also use this on wood floors as well.)

Thieves Cleaner = 1 capful of cleaner and 2 cups of water.  This is our everyday surface cleaner and we have several bottles all over the house, including in bathrooms for quick cleanups, and my craft room.

Glass Cleaner = 1/2 capful of cleaner and 2 cups water.  I also add 3 drops of YL Lemon EO and 1/2 t of white vinegar (the cheap kind - LOL)


Sometimes I make a gallon bucket of hot water and 3 capfuls of cleaner for big jobs.  I recently did this when we pulled the RV out of storage to prep it for the camping season.

Honey and I wipe down EVERY hard surface in the fifth-wheel, from the countertops to wood trim with this solution.  Not only does is seriously freshen up the interior smell (think closed up for 4 months) but it also keeps the finishes in great condition.  This is our home on wheels and we love it just as much as our home.


As the hot water is running into the bucket, the concentrate will foam a bit.  It will die down.

Don't equate lots of bubbles with cleaning power.  You don't need bubbles to get a thorough clean.


The back of the bottle has all the breakdowns for making different strengths as needed for your particular cleaning job.

BUT...
Pinterest has THOUSANDS of recipes and ideas for cleaning literally EVERYTHING you own or ever hope to own with Thieves cleaner.

Here are a few that I'm going to try out next.

Fine Jewelry Cleaner = 1/2 capful of cleaner, 1 t baking soda, 3-5 drops of YL Lemon, Orange, or Citrus Fresh EO.  Soak for a few minutes then use a soft toothbrush (get one at the Dollar Tree) to loosen any debris.  Rinse and pat dry.

and...

Thieves Scrub = 2 capfuls of cleaner, 1C of baking soda (buy in bulk) 1 drop of a YL citrus EO (Lemon, Orange, Lime, Grapefruit, Tangerine, Citrus Fresh).  Combine in a glass jar and shake with the lid on.  Use this scrub to clean fiberglass, stainless, and ceramic.  

  Let me know if you make any of these cleaners, I'd love to see what you think of them.

The trick is to clean quickly so you have time to break the rules!








Post a Comment

© No Rules after 50. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.